Starter replacement

GEOSDAD
  • CHEVROLET S-10
I have a 87 s10 v6 2.8L 4WD auto trans. I have unbolted the starter to replace it but cant get it out. What do I have to take off to give me enough room
Friday, June 15th, 2007 AT 9:32 AM

BOOTDOG
Look for a bracket on the other end. Also disconnect the battery and then the electrical cables going to the starter
+1
Sunday, June 17th, 2007 AT 5:09 PM
GEOSDAD
Thanks for your reply
I have done all that and the starter is loose and just laying in there. I cant bring it up because of the exhaust manifold, or down because it wont go through the available space. I have turned it every which way, but it just doesnt want to come out. There is a crossmember in the way underneath, but I am reluctant to unbolt it with me under the truck. Any ideas?
+1
Sunday, June 17th, 2007 AT 6:09 PM
BOOTDOG
I wish I could see it from here. The only thing I suggest, is to keep maneuvering it around till it comes free. Look for the easiest thing to remove out of the way, to help free up the starter.
Monday, June 18th, 2007 AT 10:22 AM
LAMA
The crossmember needs to come out. There are 3 bolts on either end. Ive had mine out a few times. Bolts can be accessed with a socket and 6 inch extension inside frame on either side. Ive had mine out on my 86 4wd more than once. Be sure to support the trans with a jack if necessary.

Lama
+1
Sunday, July 1st, 2007 AT 1:33 PM
ROBERT MURPHY2
Or simply remove the sameside motor mount. And use a wooden block between your Jack and oil pan. Have a second person slowly Jack the motor up while you maneuver the starter out. You can do this by yourself but better and safer with a second hand!
+1
Monday, August 22nd, 2016 AT 8:47 PM