AIR Pump

KARM2U
  • CHEVROLET S-10
I just recently purchased a Chevy S10 with 116,000 miles, standard transmission for my son. It failed the emission test on "Secondary emission". The mechanic did a diagnostic test ($100) and told us that The AIP Pump fuse is blown. Found water in the AIP pump assembly and the AIR pump failed. He said he found factory service bulletin to verify AIP pump failure and recommends a new air pump for the cost of labor and parts at $598. I feel after the price of the diagnostic test that took all of 10 minutes he's scamming us. Could it just be the fuse needs to be replaced? Or could another filter be causing the emission test to fail?
Wednesday, October 17th, 2007 AT 4:02 PM

CHEVYII
Im going to touch this one gently, there is and has always been issues with gm airpumps, if the fuse is blown its blown for a reason, an internal failure of the air pump or wiring, but more than likely the pump is bad, as far as getting ripped off I say no it takes more than most people know to do this job or they would fix their own cars, but most people dont have a seven thousand dollar diag scanner, and monthly access fees for info and 50 grand in tools, and years of experience to properly diagnose and repair a vehicle, a wise shop owner of 35 years once told me that we as techs work our whole lives around cars that dont pay for what we have learned, or for the abuse we put our body and minds through, give your guy a break he sounds honest and picked up the problem quickly and the price sounds fair

thanks

jim
Wednesday, October 17th, 2007 AT 6:34 PM
KARM2U
Actually Jim, and I'll be gentle; we took it to another mechanic who changed out the O2 sensor and the truck passed the emission test! So my "gut" instinct was right.
Monday, October 22nd, 2007 AT 11:31 AM
MONSTERQIQW
Check to see if the air pump works. Run two jumper wires from the negative and postive side of the battery directly to the air pump. You should hear it cut on, if it does'nt, there is your problem. The o2 sensor will be another code, if it has failed. If the air pump has failed it has gotten moisture in it and shorted it out. Put a hole in the bottom of the new air pump before you put it back on to let the moisture out, and change the air pump check valve at the same time, or you will get the same code over and over.
Tuesday, June 17th, 2014 AT 3:44 PM
MONSTERQIQW
Do it yourself. It is not a complicated job.
Tuesday, June 17th, 2014 AT 3:47 PM
MONSTERQIQW
Go to amazon or your local Auto Zone. The part should be relatively cheap. AGAIN it is an easy do it yourself job
Tuesday, June 17th, 2014 AT 4:00 PM