2001 Chevy S-10 Engine won't turn over no power

LAURENC6198
  • 2001 CHEVROLET S-10
2001 Chevy S-10 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive 121000 miles

I have a S10 pickup truck that won't start. It it will click and there is no power, no lights. When I unplug the battery and then plug it back in, the truck will start fine. This works for about two weeks and then have to unplug the battery again. What could be causing this?
Sunday, February 8th, 2009 AT 10:25 AM

Hello, I'd make sure the battery has a full charge and the battery cables/wires are all clean and tight on both ends. When you say no lites, are you talking about the dash lites?

If you have a starter relay in the power distribution center, you can check the circuits going to the relay, when the event occurs. The voltage for the control side of relay, goes hot with the key in the crank position. The voltage for the load side of relay is hot all the time. Any testing make sure the tranny is in park or neutral and the e-brake is set.
Sunday, February 8th, 2009 AT 1:21 PM
LAURENC6198
I have an intermittent problem. About once every two weeks, when I go to start my car the accessories turn on fine, but when I go to start the engine I hear a "click". When this happens I have no power.

What I mean by "no power" is The interior lights dont work, the dash board goes dark as does the radio.

There are two fixes that I know of: Jumping the car or disconnecting the battery. If I discontect the battery, the time between failure is two weeks. If I jump the car the period beteween failure gets closser together until it won't start at all. Any thoughts?

So far I have clieaned the ground wire where it attahces to body and the battery terminals
Sunday, February 8th, 2009 AT 1:45 PM
I'd check the feed going to and from the ignition switch, maybe some of the others will have ideas.
Sunday, February 8th, 2009 AT 2:09 PM