2000 Chevy S-10 Truck Stalls Now

BURNS.316
  • 2000 CHEVROLET S-10
My truck would not start with low fuel in the tank. I never had a problem if I kept more than 5 gallons in the tank, then I let it get low once and couldn't get the engine started. I put gas in the air intake and ended up damaging the line. I replaced the air line and resonator that were damaged. I then replaced the plugs and fuel filter, because I thought that the fuel filter was dirty (I think it was 100,000 miles old) and the plugs were about 40K old. After replacing the filter the truck started right up and I have had no starting problems (although there is 1/2 tank of gas). I drove home from the garage and the truck seemed fine. However, now when I am driving the engine will often hesitate and stall. If I rev the engine in neutral it seems normal. When this started it would stall if I went to accellerate at high speed (60+ MPH) now it will hesitate at lower speeds and stall what seems randomly. Occasionaly when the truck stalls I can not get it to start without pulling over and putting it in park, removing key and then cranking. I thought maybe the gas has gone bad and put 5 gallons of premium in with the 5 gallons that were in the tank(I usually run 87 octane as recommened), now it still hesitates and may stall but it is much harder to actually get the truck to stall.
Saturday, January 31st, 2009 AT 6:04 PM

JACK42
When it stalls, you need to test for fuel presssure and spark. It sounds like it may be a weak fuel pump or one that is going out, but you need to verify this with a pressure test using a gauge
Sunday, February 1st, 2009 AT 8:52 AM
BURNS.316
I filled the other half of the tank with premium, so there are now 3 gallons of new premium for every gallon of suspicious gas that was in the tank. The one trip home I made the truck did not hesitate or stall, even with agressive acceleration. Does this mean I had bad gas, or will filling the tank help an ailing fuel pump? I have an appointment on Tuesday to use the garage again and will check the pressure in the fuel rail, but if I don't have any problems between now and then does that mean bad gas or should I still worry about the fuel pump going out?
Sunday, February 1st, 2009 AT 12:30 PM
JACK42
Normally more fuel in the tank wont help a bad pump. A pressure test will help rule it out. Have you troed a product in the fuel tank to remove moisture?
Sunday, February 1st, 2009 AT 3:16 PM
BURNS.316
I put some heet in there last tank of gas. I have another bottle left if I should use that. Today I drove for an extended trip with no stalling, but there was a little hesitation. I also ran diagnostics from the computer and it came back with two error codes:

P0171 = Fuel system for bank one too lean.

P0133 = Response time for oxygen sensor 1 in bank 1 too slow during testing.

So I picked up a new oxygen sensor and plan to install it on tuesday. Could that have been causing the problem as described?
Sunday, February 1st, 2009 AT 3:39 PM
JACK42
Its posible, but check for vacuum leaks first. Low fuel pressure can cause a lean code as well
Monday, February 2nd, 2009 AT 7:27 AM