1999 Chevy S-10 High Mount Brake Light

KEITH MCGEE
  • 1999 CHEVROLET S-10
My high mount brake light does not work. My lower brakes lights work fine. I checked the fuse under the hood and replaced it, even though it looked fine, and I replaced both light bulbs with 211-2 bulbs. It still will not work. What else can I check?
Thursday, January 8th, 2009 AT 4:00 PM

JACK42
There is a "high mount stop lamp" relay in the underhood fuse panel. Try swapping it for the a/c relay and se eif it fixes it
Thursday, January 8th, 2009 AT 4:06 PM
KEITH MCGEE
I replaced the high mount relay with the ac and horn relay and I know they work but it did not fix the problem. What else can I do?
Thursday, January 8th, 2009 AT 4:51 PM
JACK42
Use a meter to be sure you have a good ground at the light
Thursday, January 8th, 2009 AT 5:46 PM
KEITH MCGEE
Here's what I have done so far. I took my mulit meter and checked the voltage to the battery side of the fuse and got 12 volts. I then checked across the fuse and got 12 volts. My brake lights work so I know I'm getting power back that far.

I took the cover off the high mount and checked connectivity. I had good connectivitiy across both sets of terminals. I then had a friend press the brakes and I got good connectivitiy across the entire light set. When I checked voltage however it was dead.

I checked all the fuses under the hood and at the end of the instrument panel and replaced one that fixed my dome light. I can get 12 volts across my dome light but no power (only connectivity) across my high mount. How is the power to my High mount wired? Does it come from my lower brake lights? What can I do to restore power to my high mount?

Keith
Friday, January 9th, 2009 AT 2:40 PM
KEITH MCGEE
Can I get any more help?
Saturday, January 10th, 2009 AT 9:24 PM
JACK42
Check the Vei-chmsl fuse (10 amp) the dome and 3rd light power come through it, I will include the diagram, if you cannot read it reply with your email and I will send it to you that way to see if it is readable

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/1639_s10_3.jpg

Monday, January 19th, 2009 AT 8:05 AM
KEITH MCGEE
I just figured out the problem! I was checking voltage at the light and could not get anything off the light terminals so I was placing my leads on the posts that come up out of the bottom of the box and got 12 volts. Surprise! Why wouldn't the light work? I placed the lead on the brass strip and leaned it against the metal post it was attached to and the lights came on. I realized there was a bad connection between the wire post and the strip so I took a punch and hammer and tapped it back down so it would make contact and my light works fine now. Thanks for your help though. I learned a lot about brake lights and wiring.

Keith
Monday, January 19th, 2009 AT 9:59 PM
JACK42
Thats a really good find. Brake lights on newer cars are a little more complex that just a switch and wires nowdays
Tuesday, January 20th, 2009 AT 7:34 AM