1998 Chevy S-10 S-10 just couldnt work

CHRISVIER
  • 1998 CHEVROLET S-10
I did some modification (lowered it) on the s-10 the friday prior to using my car on sunday to work and it worked fine. Half way to work my car couldn't all of a sudden couldn't go, no power then all of a sudden it just died. Pulled on the side of the road checked everything and looked fine. Tried to jump start it but it wouldnt start. It has a half a tank of gas. Couldnt get it to start so we towed it back home. Took out the bed of the truck and were just guessing that it could be the fuel pump? Or by doing the modification could of triggered something? Or because its old and mileage is high could also be the problem? Or do you think that I might find more problems if I fix the fuel pump? Please advise. I am 19 yrs old and need the car for work and school and I cant afford to buy a brand new car. This s-10 was given to me from my grandparents. Thank you.
Tuesday, September 22nd, 2009 AT 3:32 AM

RACEFAN966
Ok lowering you truck should not have cause anything to go wrong. Now what I need to know is one how old is the fuel filter? I also need to know what fuel pressure do you have? If you do not have access to a fuel pressure tester then you can do this. Get a rag and a small screwdriver. Find the fuel shradder valve (looks like a tire valve) on the fuel rail. Now depress it slowly (there should be pressure here) and see if you get fuel from it. It should have pressure so be carefull so you don't get it in your eyes. Now if there is no pressure or little pressure then crank the truck over and check again if it don't change then I would recommend fuel pump and strainer and fuel filter. Your fuel system shoud have 40 to 47 psi of fuel pressure. Let me know what you find.
Tuesday, September 22nd, 2009 AT 10:33 AM
CHRISVIER
Hi racefan966, thanks for your response. We did what you said and it didnt have no pressure at all. I believe the fuel filter has never been changed since it was bought. We just changed the fuel pump the fuel filter and it will crank but it doesn't turn over. Now what? Could it be something else? This could be the question of the day. Could it be a car alarm that can trigger something not to work? I dont know. Again thankyou so much. Your response is greatly appreciated.
Wednesday, September 23rd, 2009 AT 1:07 AM
RACEFAN966
Do you hear the fuel pump come on as you crank it? If not then we need to check to see if the fuel pump is getting power. When the fuel pump went it may have blown the fuse or the the fuel pump relay and with a digital multi meter we can check that. So I need you to check the ECM B fuse it is a 20 amp this powers the fuel pump relay if this is good then check the gray wire at the fuel pump make sure there is power there, keep in mind when you turn the key on you will only get power there for about 3 seconds so you may need to crank it a few seconds. If that is good then check the black wire (inside the left rear frame rail) for a good ground. If the gray wire at the pump has no power then I would suspect that the fuel pump relay but before just replacing it you will need to check the green wire with the white stripe at the fuel pump relay for power while cranking. If there is power there while cranking then replace the fuel pump relay. Let me know what you find.
Wednesday, September 23rd, 2009 AT 9:45 AM
JIM GRIMISON
I had this same problem on my 2000 s10. After alot of trouble shooting I found that I had inadvertanly broken the ground wire connection located inside of the frame (driver side by the rear bumper. The wireing sheath prevented seeing it but ohming the ground or black wire it ot told me it was an open ground due to infanant resistance (not 0 ohms) from pump connector to chassis. Hope this helps.
Saturday, September 26th, 2009 AT 6:14 PM