CHEVY FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR

1989 Chevrolet S-10

Mark Giebler

July, 25, 2010 AT 12:19 AM

1989 Chevy S-10 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 71000 miles

Repair manual say's that when replacing the fuel pressure regulator, that fuel meter cover and regulator should be changed at the same time due to a strong spring that is under pressure-not to remove the 4 screws that hold it down. It looks like a model 220 throttle body. Store just sells fuel pressure regulator. The question that I have is if it is that big of a deal (hard) to put the regulator in? I also heard that you have to change the oil because a lot of gas flows into the crank case from the broken diaphragm. It would be nice if the manuals would give that advice. All help is appreciated!

July, 25, 2010 AT 1:37 AM

What you've been hearing is all true

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_fp_56.jpg

The pressure regulator is a diaphragm-operated relief valve with system operating pressure on one side and and atmospheric pressure on the other side. The function of the regulator is to maintain a constant pressure to the injectors at all times, by controlling the flow in the return line by means of a calibrated bypass.

NOTE: The pressure regulator on this unit is serviced as part of the fuel meter cover and should not be disassembled.

Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang