1985 Chevy S-10 No spark to distributor

EIGNA00
  • 1985 CHEVROLET S-10
My truck will crank but it doesn't start. I already changed the distributor cap, ignition coil, rotor, pick-up coil, control module and spark plug cables; still no spark out of coil. Before you tell me, I KNOW this isn't what I was supposed to do. I should have used an elimination process, but I was desperate, and in a hurry. I found out the ECC had been removed (thank goodnes, cause I think I would've replaced that as well, LOL)

After giving up, I took things slowly and started "testing" the electric cables, that's when I found out that the cable coming from the coil's primary resistance didn't have any energy. When I hooked the tester to the positive on the Bat, and tested this cable, it didn't light up. The other (secondary) is fine.
But here is my main problem: When I followed this cable (the one from the primary. It's white and very thin) it ended at a plug, which of course I don't know where it goes and this cable only measures around 24". So I'm GUESSING it could've been plugged to some kind of Resistor. Because it's too short to reach the ignition switch. Well I can't find a resistor ballast, nor another cable coming from the ignition switch that would join it.
I don't know what a calibrated resistance wire looks like, but I'm betting it's a lot thicker than this white thin one.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Should I go and buy a resistor ballast and plug the white primary cable to it? If so, What exactly do I do? Would I need one coming from the resistor INTO the Ignition switch? Any other things I should do before this? Please, I'm desperate.

Thanks in advance. And please don't be hard on me about all the replacing I did!

Angie.

ps. BTW The only wire I can see coming from the ignition switch is a yellow and a purple one. One going to the solenoid and the other to the clutch switch. According to the repair manual, there should be a pink one going to the Ignition coil. Of course I can't find any.
Monday, May 11th, 2009 AT 10:05 PM

RACEFAN966
I first need to know what kind of S-10 is it a pickup or blazer? Have you checked ignition fuse number 5? It should be next to the horn fuse and it should be a 20 amp. Also check fuse 9 should be 15 amp and fuse number 10 should be 10 amp. Get back to me with what you find and the needed info so I can look over the wiring diagram and see what we can't do to get this thing running again.
Tuesday, May 12th, 2009 AT 10:13 AM
EIGNA00
Hi,
Thanks for answering.
It's an '85 Chevy Pick-up 4wd. V6/2.8L
About the fuses, they were one of the first things my husband checked and he said they were O.K. I'll do a recheck this afternoon after I get back from work, and get back to you.

Also, as I mentioned before, the cable from the coil's primary winding is unplugged and I can't find where to put it.
The wiring diagram I'm using in my repair manual is also on Autozone's website.

Thanks again,

Angie
Tuesday, May 12th, 2009 AT 12:29 PM
EIGNA00
O.K. I rechecked the fuses and they're all fine. But coming from the ignition switch there's a bunch of cables, so I have no idea which one was the one that joined the coil's primary winding's cable. So that's where I am, and that's the problem right now.
Any suggestions on how to find it? I'm at my wit's end!

Hope to hear from you soon.

Angie.
Tuesday, May 12th, 2009 AT 5:40 PM
EIGNA00
I found out that the cable coming from the ignition switch to the coil is the pink one (and it also says so in the repair manual) now the problem is that once this cables comes out into the engine, I think it changes color or something because I can't find it. I figured it goes thru some kind of spliter or box and then they plug another colored wire from then on. Is there any test I can do to figure out which is which? 'Cause I don't think pulling it to see if it moves out side would work, right?

Sorry for so many questions, but I do appreciate any help I can get.

Angie.
Tuesday, May 12th, 2009 AT 9:21 PM
RACEFAN966
The wiring to the coil should be one pink wire and two white wires at the coil. Is this true on yours? If the wires are different colors on you truck then get back to me with the actual production date on the door. Thanks.
Wednesday, May 13th, 2009 AT 10:51 AM
EIGNA00
It's exactly like that! I see the pink one coming from the ignition switch but don't know where it ends inside the engine. The white one from the coil ends in a plug and measures around 24 inches long. Please get back to me soon, and thanks a bunch!
Wednesday, May 13th, 2009 AT 11:49 AM
RACEFAN966
Do you have a digital multi meter? I need you to check what the voltage is at both wires at the coil with the key on engine off. Let me kwow what you find and we will go from there.
Thursday, May 14th, 2009 AT 9:56 AM
EIGNA00
Hi,

Sorry I had not gotten back to you earlier. It turns out that the new ignition module I had just bought was bad, so when I replaced it, it started up perfectly ;)
So I appreciate your help anyway, but I solved my issues for now.

Again, thank you very, very much.

Angie.
Sunday, May 17th, 2009 AT 3:35 PM
RACEFAN966
Thanks for the date and glad to hear it runs again. If there is anything more just ask.
Monday, May 18th, 2009 AT 9:46 AM