Ignition Problem?

• 1 POST

I have a 1996 Chevy Pickup/5.7L V-8 Vortec

The problem that I am having started the other day when I went to leave for work. I started the truck. Went to drive away and the truck completely diedfor a split second. The clock even reset. I restarted the truck and everything was fine. Two days later, I went to leave from work and when I went to turn the key to start the truck. Nothing. The truck was completely dead. The only thing lit in the truck was the little LED that tells you if you are in drive, reverse, and so on. Then the lights in the truck began to flicker. There was a clickclickclick noise coming from under the dash as the lights were flickering which would all stop when I pressed the brake pedal. When I let the brake pedal go, the flickering would begin again. This is all that happens now when the door to the truck is open and when I turn the key to see if the truck will start, everything goes dead again. My knowlege is limited but maybe a short at the starter or a faulty ignition switch? Please Help. Thank You.

Wednesday, January 3rd, 2007 AT 4:33 PM

• 627 POSTS

It sounds like you have a bad power or ground cable connection. Check the terminals to your battery, and where they attach to the remote stud. Check the connections at the altenator and the engine block ground connection. Make sure all connections are clean, and secure.
It could be a ignition switch, but most likely it is just a power cable problem. I have actually seen battery cables corrode inside the plastic coating and look perfectly normal. I would move the cables around and see if you can change the symtoms to isolate where your problem is.

Wednesday, January 3rd, 2007 AT 5:48 PM