1979 Other Chevrolet Models OEM Distributor Rplacement Help

DOUGSA
  • 1979 CHEVROLET
79 Chevy C30 2wd, no EGR 454 5.7L. Just replaced intake manifuld and now replacing OEM distributor with an ACCEL one. Here's where I'm at: placed #1 cyl at TDC. Made mark on firewall accross form rotor position and on back of rotor/distributor in relation to #1 plug position on distributer cap. Lined up rotor and vacum advance on new one, corresponding to old and placed. It meshed fine, slid right in. However, as it seats itself, the rotor rotates clockwise about an inch off the mark on the firewall, even with vacume advance in perfect position. Tried couple of times, same result. Tried putting old one back in just to check but with same result. Is this minor rotation OK or will I have major timing problems? I'm a novice and this is a project with my son.
Sunday, May 4th, 2008 AT 11:07 PM

PEAR69
When you took the oem distributer out did you was the number one piston up to TDC? If so, put it back in, just the way it came out--with no.1 at TDC. Now, carefully take it out again. The rotor will turn a-little as the distributer gear releases the cam gear--as you lift it out DO NOT let the distributer gear rotate after it releases the cam gear. Turn the distributer upside down and observe the position of the oil pump slot on the bottom side of the distributers cam gear. Here is the tricky part-- you have to turn the oil pumps' distributer shaft to match this position when you install the new distributer. You will need to look inside of the hole that the distributer goes in--that's right inside of the motor--you'll need a small mirror for this and a flashlight. With a long screw driver, turn the oil pump shaft to match the distributer slot. You'll have to turn it just a little bit. The problem is that when ever you install a new distributer, you must match the oil pump shaft to the dist. Slot--failing to do this will cause the distributer to be installed one or two gear teeth off--the motor may run but you will never get it timed right and detonation will kill it. Be patient and you'll get it.
Friday, May 9th, 2008 AT 6:45 AM