1979 Chevy Nova Clanking in the back of the engine.

DRAKONAS454SS
  • 1979 CHEVROLET NOVA
OK. I have a brand new Chevy 383 Stroker motor in my Nova. The engine has less than 3 hours of total run time. The engine was broke in properly with all the correct additives and everything. Primed with a priming tool, used Lucas engine break in additive with Royal Purple, and many other things that your supposed to do with the break in process. During the break in process everything was running just fine and it sounded like a beast. Now here lies the problem.
During crank up and while running at a low idle around 7 to 8 hundred RPM there is an obnoxious clanking sound coming from the rear of the engine. When the engine is about, let say, 900 RPM or more, it sounds just fine. I have had people tell me it most likely is the oil pump. I have also had people tell me that it is the rear main seal (1 piece), but there is no oil leaking at the rear main seal. Some people have said that it could be the flex late hitting the bell housing, but there are no irregular shiny marks on the flex plate. By listening to it without a stethoscope you can tell the it is in the center of the engine in the rear of the engine. How high on the engine I couldn't really tell because I don't have a stethoscope.
So can somebody please tell me what this could really be? Oh yeah, and I don't have an oil gauge hooked up. The line got melted along side my headers.
Sunday, July 11th, 2010 AT 12:12 PM

DOCFIXIT
Check to see if flex plate to convertor tight
Sunday, July 11th, 2010 AT 2:21 PM