1974 Chevy Nova Pushrod Adjustment

FR8TRAN
  • 1974 CHEVROLET NOVA
  • 20 MILES
My nephew just purchased a Nova with a rebuilt 350 small block. He was told it would need a few adjustments before it was ready for driving.

I found that it needs more than a few adjustments already. This is the problem I am having. One of the rods is tapping and I have tried to adjust to see if that was the problem. I am what some call a backyard tree mechanic. When I worked in a shop they taught me different ways to adjust the rockers for the push rods and yet I have forgotten all I knew.

I have read your reply to an earlier respons and yet I am still a little (OK, a lot stupid) to understanding your answer.

Here is your reply and then my question:
Answer: Remove valve covers, with the valve in the idle position loosen till the push rod is "free" then tighten back down 1/2 turn. Reinstall valve cover recheck.

What do you mean by valve in "Idle" position? Is that where the rod is all the way down or up?
Thursday, May 15th, 2008 AT 5:12 PM

PEAR69
Do you have hydraulic lifters or solid lifters?
Monday, May 19th, 2008 AT 4:32 AM