2005 Chevy Monte Carlo Alternator

SHA1986
  • 2005 CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO
Hi, I recently installed a high output alternator in my 2005 monte carlo, A 200 amp.
this is my situation the voltage reading isnt as high as my stock alternator, what does this mean? I had a bosch 105 amp alternator before and at idle it would always give me readings like 14.3 and at 2000 rpm it would go up to 14.5 with ease. With the 200 amp it hardly even gets to 14.3 while driving. It idles around 13.8 -.9.
Thursday, December 18th, 2008 AT 10:16 AM

M_H_RITZEL
Did you check the amp output? The voltage sounds right but what about the amp output. Its something like you can have a 110 volt as husehold current and use a 40 amp bulb or a 75 amp bulb. The voltage is the same but the amp is higher.
Monday, December 22nd, 2008 AT 9:39 AM
SHA1986
Well at the alternator shop they had some type of voltage/amperage reader that they hooked up to the power wire of my alternator and told me to put my sound system up to see how much amps its putting out. It read up to 148 I believe. But my lights still dimm alot which was the whole reason why I upgraded. How do I get my voltage up and steady during stereo play?
Thanx for the help it is greatly appreciated
Monday, December 22nd, 2008 AT 10:47 AM
M_H_RITZEL
You installed a 200 amp atinator and it is only putting out 148. The stereo system is using a lot of power. There is only a 30 amp difference in what you took out of the car and the new altinator. Check where you purchased the altinator and get specs to what the altinator is suppose to put out.
Monday, December 22nd, 2008 AT 10:57 AM
SHA1986
When they bench tested my stock alt it was 105 amps and the new alt was 290 on their alternator tester.
Monday, December 22nd, 2008 AT 12:16 PM
M_H_RITZEL
With that much amps you should be able to run just about anything. If your lights dim when you turn on your stereo, then check the connections on the stereo top make sure something is not grounding out. I have seen where someone put a amp in the trunk and it drew a lot of ampreage, he found he had pinched a wire under the carpet where he had run the wires
Wednesday, December 24th, 2008 AT 8:55 AM
SHA1986
I went back and they put a new regulator on the alt. Its voltage readings are way better, when im parked it reads 14.4. My question is, are all 200 amp alt created equal? Basically whats the difference between a performance 200 amp like a powermaster or stock 200 amp like a delphi? Thanks
Wednesday, December 31st, 2008 AT 9:07 AM
M_H_RITZEL
The diference would be quality. Like buying a aftermarket product compared to a name brand. They both work, One is a better quality than the other.
Wednesday, December 31st, 2008 AT 11:40 AM