1999 Chevy Monte Carlo Plaese Help

ABOKER85
  • 1999 CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO
Dir Sir. Mam.

The problem started out as a every now and again I would be driving down the road and all of a sudden it was like the car lost power and the rpms would jump. It was like a real bad skip. I cleaned the mass air flow sensor and yesterday I got in the car and it would not go over 1500 rpms had no power at all. SO I went and bought a new idle air control valve and installed it. I was able to drive the car about 14 miles with no problem. Then I go to leave and the car starts but still has no powerl. When I put it in gear and press the gas it wil be real sluggish and eventually die on me. I have tried all I know to try even pulled a plug of of each of the power packs and it was sparking.
Monday, May 3rd, 2010 AT 12:04 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
Hello and thanks for donating

Is the check engine light coming on in the vehicle? If so, the best place to start is retrieving the trouble code(s) stored. If engine light is not on, then you will need to test the fuel pressure and the spark at plugs. You say the plugs were already checked so there is good spark. Fuel pressure needs checked also, although seems more like an electrical issue its always best to rule out the basics.
Tuesday, May 4th, 2010 AT 6:53 PM
ABOKER85
I have checked the fuel presure and its good. What sensors would you suggest me checking first? I have cleaned the mass air flow sendsor, idle air control valve. The car will rev up to 3000 rpms now. Whats the best way to tell if its the power packs?

Kindest Regards.

Anthony Booker
678-775-5022
Wednesday, May 5th, 2010 AT 9:00 AM
ABOKER85
Also No check ingine lights are on. I have hooked up a computer to the port and its not throwing out any messages. Any info you can provide would be helpful.

Kindest Regards.

Anthony Booker

678-775-5022
Wednesday, May 5th, 2010 AT 9:02 AM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Okay, without trouble codes showing this is a rather lenghty process of elimination to finding such a cause for low power and stalling. I have a large list posted below of possible causes, some of them you may have already tested so just skip if needed. let me know how everything checks out, i'm certain you should find the cause with this list though.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname_2117.jpg

Wednesday, May 5th, 2010 AT 12:13 PM
ABOKER85
How about the TPS sensor? WOuld this cause this problem?
Wednesday, May 5th, 2010 AT 12:48 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
A faulty TPS will normally cause bucking, jerking, idle surging, and hesitation while trying to accelerate so it would be a good idea to test it as well. To test a TPS follow the steps below.

" You need to disconnect the throttle sensor harness.
" Open the throttle valve manually and check the resistance between the terminal 1 and 2 changes.
" Check the resistance in three different positions of the accelerator pedal.
" You may record a resistance of approximately 10-ohms when the accelerator is fully, 2 to 10-ohms partially depressed and 2-ohms when completely released.
Wednesday, May 5th, 2010 AT 5:54 PM
ABOKER85
I took the tps off the car and tested the resister with a meter. Actually my step dad is an electrical engineer. He said it reads correct at one point. We manually turned the round part and got nothing. I am guessing it is the TPS sensor. I am going to replace it and let you know how it goed. I wanted to donate you $5 more dollars. Can you tell me jow to do this.

Kindest Regards.

Anthony
Thursday, May 6th, 2010 AT 9:10 AM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Sure, let me know how it goes.

To donate an additional amount on the same question, just use the "Donate more" box at the top of this page. An example of the box is below..

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname_2124.jpg

Thursday, May 6th, 2010 AT 8:14 PM
JAMESAVERY
Cleaning of a MAF Sensor on a Chevy Lumina

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ii5z18Ozec
Thursday, July 7th, 2016 AT 8:12 AM