CHEVY AIR BAG LIGHT

2007 Chevrolet Malibu

elnora

August, 15, 2010 AT 11:40 PM

Computer problem
2007 Chevy Malibu 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 49000 miles

Need help guys. I am average woman who just drives the car, get oil changes, etc unless something occurs. I have 2007 malibu and have never had any major problems what so ever. Have little over 49,000 miles. Last week air bag light will come on and off. This happen maybe about 3-4 times for a few seconds 2 days last week. Today it occured about 6-7 times. I am scared the bag is going to deplore why driving and I crash! Car has never been in accident and airbags never deplored.

My question is, is it safe to drive it until I can get to a repair shop saturday when I am off work? What could be possibly the problem? Will it be costly? Should I go to the dealer or repair shop like Firestone where I get oil changes, tires, and inspections. They do major repairs I have been told.

Thanks for any help guys.

mmprince4000

August, 20, 2010 AT 8:57 AM

The car would have to be scanned for an SRS (airbag) code.

It could be a simple sensor, but I would have it checked ASAP as airbag system may be disabled.

elnora

August, 20, 2010 AT 4:51 PM

Thanks so much for the reply. I took it to the dealer a few earlier today and it was the sensor. The repair was only $113, so I am glad didnt have to pay a huge amount.

mmprince4000

August, 21, 2010 AT 8:41 AM

Great news and thanks for taking to dealer.

Many people try to repair the SRS system themselves, this is VERY dangerous if the air bag were to accidentally deploy.