2005 MALIBU LOCK ISSUES

• salvey1982
  • 2005 Chevrolet Malibu

I have a 2005 Chevy Malibu which was purchased used from a respectable dealership. I have had not trouble until now. I tried to unlock the doors with the remote and it would not work. This was a little strange because it worked a couple of hours previously and the battery in the remote was only a couple of weeks old. I tried unlocking the door manually but my key would not turn. It would not unlock the trunk either. I called the dealership and they suggested that I would just have to have it re-keyed. I went back to the car about 10 minutes later and the remote worked fine. However, this morning the remote would not lock or unlock the doors. The switch inside the car works fine. Any suggestions?

Thursday, November 29th, 2007 AT 8:48 AM

• Jack42

Sounds like an anti-theft problem, most likely the BCM. Does the car start and run ok once you are in it? Is th esecurity light on?

Thursday, November 29th, 2007 AT 12:35 PM
  • salvey1982

Yes the car starts and runs fine once I get in. I just replaced a fuse for the power outlet(cigarette lighter). I'm not sure if since it's power locks that maybe it blew a fuse? The security light does not stay on once the car is started. Thanks for your reply!

Thursday, November 29th, 2007 AT 3:11 PM
  • Jack42

You can try recoding the remotes, but it sounds like either a BCM problem or the receiver for the remote locks. Might want to have it scanned (BCM) to see if it detected a failure

Friday, November 30th, 2007 AT 7:18 AM
  • salvey1982

Well we figured out it's actually just the remote. There was a component that was broken inside it. However, that still does not explain why the key won't open the door. Thanks again for your help!

Friday, November 30th, 2007 AT 8:09 AM