2005 Chevy Malibu Heater fan

LORIJVAN
  • 2005 CHEVROLET MALIBU
Where do I start in replacing or fixing my heater fan blower?
Sunday, January 4th, 2009 AT 6:41 PM

Find the blower motor it should have a blue and black wire going into it? If so direct power from the battey to the blue wire-did the motor operate-let me know asap.
-1
Sunday, January 4th, 2009 AT 6:57 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Hello
Thanks for the donation.

Is the blower motor not operating at all? Or only operating at certain fan speeds?.. Let me know and I will be of better assistance.

You may want to first check the fuses/relays. Another issue may be the blower resister is faulty.

If you feel it is just the blower motor itself that is faulty, below are removal/installation instructions for the component.

REMOVAL:
Remove the right closeout panel.
Remove the blower motor wire harness connector.
Cut out the blower motor using a utility knife in the narrow groove of the lower case (FIG. 1)

FIGURE 1

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_0900c15280094d67_1.jpg

NOTE: Cut through the case as straight as possible because the motor cup must be replaced.

In order to prevent damage to the component, do not cut any deeper than necessary to remove the motor cup.
Remove the blower motor.

INSTALLATION:
Install the motor blower seal. (FIG. 2)

FIGURE 2

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_0900c15280094d67_2.jpg

Install the blower motor.
Install the blower motor attachment ring if reusing the blower motor.
Tighten the blower motor screws, and tighten the screws to 13 lb inches (1.5 Nm).
Install the blower motor wire harness connector.
Install the right closeout panel.

Hope this helps..
Thanks for using 2carpros.com!
+1
Sunday, January 4th, 2009 AT 7:02 PM
LORIJVAN
The blower motor is not working on any speed, it has a low humming sound, therefore I thought it wasn't a fuse but the fan itself.
Sunday, January 4th, 2009 AT 7:18 PM
Could be binding within the housing try banging around to free it. If its humming on all speed setting its getting power to it thru the blower motor resistor. Disconnect the blower motor and power it direct-let me know
Monday, January 5th, 2009 AT 11:10 AM
LORIJVAN
Thanks for your help. When we removed the motor cover it had a build up of ice in the bottom of the right close out panel, we thawed out everything and connected the motor blower up again and low and behold the fan blew on all speeds. To insure everything dries out and thaws I am letting the car run with the heater on for an extended time.
Thanks again second time you guys have gotten me out of a car problem.
Lori
+1
Monday, January 5th, 2009 AT 11:23 AM