2004 Chevy Malibu wont start

TRIPLED
  • 2004 CHEVROLET MALIBU
Was hard to start, now wont start at all. I've replaced sparkplugs and boots. I've noticed a loss of power when going up hills and a slight miss sometimes. I pulled the cover off of the throttle and noticed what looked like oil. Last week it stopped and it took long time starting, icleaned the oil out of the cover and put aome injector cleaner ithe tank and it ran fine untill the other day. It's getting plenty gas, but it seems like its not getting any fire.
Thursday, April 8th, 2010 AT 7:57 PM

ERNEST CLARK
With conditions such as you described, you should definitely be getting a "Check Engine" light. If so, you should have your computer scanned before going any further.

AutoZone will do this for free, as well as provide you with the "Trouble Codes". If you'd like my help at that point, write back and provide me with the codes and I'll help you from there.

Now having said that, with any "No Start" issue, the first thing to check is spark, then fuel, compression/computer and sensors.

Remove the fuel pump relay then pull a plug and install a "Spark Tester". As you crank the engine, watch for a spark that should be bright blue and strong. If there's no spark or a weak spark, you must find out why by testing the ignition system back to the coils/computer.

If you have spark, then reinstall the fuel pump relay and move on to the fuel system, beginning with a static pressure test, then operating pressure. If pressure is out of spec, then you need to find out why by testing the fuel system starting at the pump and working your way to the engine.

If there is good pressure, then you must check to see if your injectors are firing. If they are not, then you must find out why, beginning with the computer. If you are getting fuel and spark, then you need to see if you're getting compression (to check the internals of your engine). You also need to check the computer and all of it's sensors for proper operation.

This information is a universal procedure for diagnosing a "No Start" problem. Because all vehicles are slightly different, you should refer to a service manual for your specific car since that will give you a more detailed description of your operating systems and how to diagnose them.

Good luck.
Thursday, April 22nd, 2010 AT 11:39 PM