CHEVY COOLANT FLLUSH FOR MAINTENANCE

2004 Chevrolet Malibu

garcon98

August, 11, 2008 AT 2:00 PM

Engine Cooling problem
2004 Chevy Malibu 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 42,000 miles

I have a haynes manual that tells me about a radiator plug wich I cannot find this has no radiator cap only a reservoir tank I wanna flush the coolant to replace the dexcool before it eats a few things !The hoses are both mid way of the radiator no upper as the older models do I need to remove the hoses and radiator to flush this puppy good? Thanks denis

Jetsa

August, 13, 2008 AT 8:36 PM

I think you are correct and the car doesnt have a drain cock/plug. You will have to remove one of the radiator hoses to do a thorough flush. I would recommend getting a chemical that you add to the coolant prior to flushing. You add the chemical then drive it and the chemical is cleaning while you are driving. Then you drain out the cleaner while flushing.

obxautomedic

August, 13, 2008 AT 8:47 PM

Hi Denis,

What is the reason for the Flush? You only have 42k on it and the life of dexcool is 100k.

Also before use a chemical flush check a and see if you have Aluminum Heads if you do, I wouldn't use a chemical flush. The flow of the coolant between the aluminum head and a cast block will create and eletrical current and cause engine problems.

One other thing if you do use a chemical flush make sure you read the container, If I am not mistaken you do not drive the vehicle while doing the chemical flush.

Jetsa

August, 13, 2008 AT 8:56 PM

I'm sorry I totally missed the mileage of the car. Having said that, 100K anitfreeze has a bad habit of getting gunky. If its the original antifreeze in the car, it is now working on 5 years old, so yes I would say a flush is in order due to time, not miles. Heater cores have very small tubes that plug up with the gunk.

There are cleaners that wont harm engines regardless of what they are made of. We constantly use BG products on all engines that come in the shop and have never yet (knock on wood), to my knowlege, had an engine repair due to any of the chemicals involved with a power flush. I'm not plugging BG products, but that is one that I am aware of that is safe.

EDIT: The previous poster is correct in that the instructions say to not drive the vehicle with the cleaner in it. In my personal car, I drive with the cleaner in for a couple hours to ensure a thorough cleaning.

obxautomedic

August, 13, 2008 AT 9:30 PM

Hey Jetsa,

You've got a point on the dexcool, even though I haven't seen any that has gunked.

Also haven't heard of the product you mentioned would you email or pm me more info or website to check it out.

Mark

Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230