Engine overheating

TYLARGO10
  • 2003 CHEVROLET MALIBU

Engine Cooling problem 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 145020 miles

after replacing water pump still over heating

Friday, October 29th, 2010 AT 8:20 PM

2CARPROS KEN

It sounds like you have a stuck thermostat or a blown head gasket, here are a couple of guides to help you get the problem fixed.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/head-gasket-blown-test

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-thermostat

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-overheating-or-running-hot

Please run some tests and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Best, Ken

Monday, April 10th, 2017 AT 12:52 PM
PMANNIN
  • 2003 CHEVROLET MALIBU
  • MERGED

Where can I find the intake and out flow hoses to the heater core to flush it. It might be clogged. I just done a complete a full gasket change on the gm 3100 engine. And now my car keeps over heating. Trying to figure out how to burp the lines and if that dont work. How do I flush the heater core. Wheres the hose location or diagram.

Monday, April 10th, 2017 AT 12:54 PM
SATURNTECH9
  • MERGED

The heater core if it was clogged wouldn't cause a overheat. Is both upper and lower radiator hoses getting too hot to hold?

Monday, April 10th, 2017 AT 12:54 PM
SATURNTECH9
  • MERGED

Also is the radiator fan working and blowing really hot air out of it when it turns on?

Monday, April 10th, 2017 AT 12:54 PM
SATURNTECH9
  • MERGED

Plus is the radiator fan blowing tons of air out of it?

Monday, April 10th, 2017 AT 12:54 PM
PMANNIN
  • MERGED

The driver side hose that leads to the water pump is jot. The two on rhe passanger side are cold. Yes thw gan kicks on hard and blows a ton of air.

Monday, April 10th, 2017 AT 12:54 PM
PMANNIN
  • MERGED

Im sorry the driver side hose that runs from the radiator to the thermostat gets that hot the one that goes to the passanger side dont it stays cold.

Monday, April 10th, 2017 AT 12:54 PM
SATURNTECH9
  • MERGED

When the fan blows out tons of air is the air really hot or cold?If only one radiator hose is getting really hot sound like there is no flow thru the radiator. Did you ever replace the thermostat when you made the repairs?

Monday, April 10th, 2017 AT 12:54 PM
PMANNIN
  • MERGED

Yeah but the thermostate gasket dont fit in the slot on the engine. The gaskets bigger than the divit made for it. And melts the gasket every time. I reved it up to 3000 4000 rpms and the hose going to the theromstat did get hard. It stayed loose. I took it to the shop to get flushed and they told me the head bolts were never changes I wasnt getting presure. Which the head bolts were steel. Not aluminum. But still not heat car still over heating. And I got a nother question with that. How do you torque the headbolts right on this car. Does the front sequence. Mean the same for the back headbolts?

Monday, April 10th, 2017 AT 12:54 PM
SATURNTECH9
  • MERGED

Sounds like you need to get a factory thermostat and gasket so it will fit properly then or find a aftermarket one that will fit correctly. Also which gaskets did you replace and why?Was it overheating before you changed the gaskets etc?

Monday, April 10th, 2017 AT 12:54 PM
PMANNIN
  • MERGED

Yes the head gaskets blew so I replaced all the gaskets head bolts. And a new water pump and thermostat. Yes it was over heating thats why I went threw the process of figuring out why it was overheating and no hot air out of my vents. So now I gotta try to figure out why its still over heating and still no hot air.

Monday, April 10th, 2017 AT 12:54 PM
PMANNIN
  • MERGED

Before all this when I was driving a week prior the theromstate guage read normal at first when the heat would work. Then when it shot up for a few miles cold air shot out till the temp went back down.

Monday, April 10th, 2017 AT 12:54 PM
BARRYSHATZ
  • 2003 CHEVROLET MALIBU
  • MERGED

I have had cooling system problems since January. The system overheats. The low coolant light comes on, the gauge needle usually climbs, sometimes to the top, I have no heat, and when I shut the engine off I hear the thumping noise of water boiling in the engine. When cool the overflow tank usually takes about 3 quarts of water. Sometimes when I add water to a warm running engine it comes right out the overflow tube all over the ground. On a few occasions boiling water and steam came pouring out of the system.

There is no sign of water mixing with the engine oil, nor is there any white smoke coming out of the tailpipe. The system and heater core have been backflushed a few times, and bled for air pockets thru the coolant air bleeder multiple times. The surge tank cap was replaced. Nothing has worked. What do I do?

Monday, April 10th, 2017 AT 12:54 PM
SATURNTECH9
  • MERGED

Did you torque the head bolts the correct torque and torque pattern?

Monday, April 10th, 2017 AT 12:54 PM
RIVERMIKERAT
  • MERGED

It sounds like you have a blown head gasket. You can buy a test kit at parts stores. You can also stretch a balloon over the radiator opening with the engine running. If the balloon fills, you can bet you've got a blown head gasket.

Monday, April 10th, 2017 AT 12:54 PM
PMANNIN
  • MERGED

Yes I did 44 ft lbs and a second time at 95 degrees.

Monday, April 10th, 2017 AT 12:54 PM
SATURNTECH9
  • MERGED

There is no bleeding procedure for this car let's try this remove the thermostat and let's see if it still overheats?I had a grand am with a quad four engine put in a brand new thermostat in it. The engine was overheating only one radiator was getting hot and the radiator fan was blowing cold air from the radiator. Removed the thermostat and it didn't overheat hot air out of the radiator and both hose got hot. Put in another thermostat and it worked.

Monday, April 10th, 2017 AT 12:54 PM
PMANNIN
  • MERGED

Ok will do. I called autozone today amd they said something about getting air out of my lines by rumning the car with the radiator cap off. Is that true. I will keep u posted.

Monday, April 10th, 2017 AT 12:54 PM
SATURNTECH9
  • MERGED

I looked up your car on my Mitchell on demand for coolant replacement and refill it just says fill the coolant let it run and add coolant as needed as the air works its way out. Running it with the cap off can be dicey that hot coolant doesn't blow all over you when it gets hot. Keep me posted on what you find.

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Monday, April 10th, 2017 AT 12:54 PM
PMANNIN
  • MERGED

Ok I put the thermo in with factpry gasket. No over heat but still no heat out of heater. And also the hose that runs to the water pump is hot so is the hose from the radiator. To thermostat

Monday, April 10th, 2017 AT 12:54 PM