2001 Chevy Malibu Power door locks don't work

GTAYLOR1823
  • 2001 CHEVROLET MALIBU

2001 Chevy Malibu 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 119920 miles

I can unlock all four doors and when I put the car in drive, neutral, or reverse they will all lock. But the switch to the inside of the car won't lock or unlock them. Neither does my control, my remote won't lock the doors. I don't think that it is the original lock for the vehicle so I have no idea if the previous owner did something wrong. My remote and door switch won't lock or unlock the doors. But if I unlock the doors manually and put the car in drive they will all lock. What could the problem be?

Tuesday, February 3rd, 2009 AT 8:28 PM

RHALL77

Will they lock and unlock from the passenger side. You may have a problem in the bcm. Have it scanned for trouble codes

-1
Wednesday, February 4th, 2009 AT 7:49 AM
GTAYLOR1823

No even from the passenger side switch the doors will not lock or unlock with it. The only time it locks is when the car is put in drive. I have a baby on the way and don't need to be fumbling with the locks you know lol. Um what is the bcm? But the doors won't lock or unlock with the switchs on either side or the remote and never have. What do you think that this could mean?
Thank you very much

Wednesday, February 4th, 2009 AT 9:15 PM
GTAYLOR1823

Thank you very much[/quote:b972b9208b]

Oh one other thing, does the middle console where the shifter is, is there a light or fuse that lights up the PRND12 gear symbols?
Thank you again

Wednesday, February 4th, 2009 AT 9:18 PM
RHALL77

You BCM (body control module) some where is not recieving a signal from the switches or the remote control. Or it is recieving the signal and its not responding to it. Thats why you need to have it scanned for trouble codes to find out. Your local dealer can scan it for you. As for your shifter there is a light in there that most likely is burned out

Thursday, February 5th, 2009 AT 7:18 AM
GTAYLOR1823

Thank you so much for your help regarding this. So if I go to a chevy dealer and say "I need to have it scanned for trouble codes" they will know what I'm referring to? Or would they need to be caught up on the whole story?

Thursday, February 5th, 2009 AT 7:56 AM
RHALL77

Tell them the whole story to be on the safe side

Thursday, February 5th, 2009 AT 7:58 AM
GTAYLOR1823

On my Malibu, my 1 and 2 for a/c and heater control button won't work. It turns but it won't blow at those intervals. Why won't it work for those? Oh and thank you for the light bulb thing, thats so much better.
Thank you

Thursday, February 5th, 2009 AT 7:59 PM
RHALL77

Its usually caused by a bad blower resistor

Friday, February 6th, 2009 AT 7:13 AM
GTAYLOR1823

Is it difficult to change or swap out a blower resistor?

Friday, February 6th, 2009 AT 9:07 AM
RHALL77

No there not bad. It is located under the passenger side dash. You will see the blower motor. It is right next to it towards the fire wall. There is about 4-5 wires going to it. Remove it and see if it is burned.

Friday, February 6th, 2009 AT 9:12 AM
GTAYLOR1823

Is it difficult to change or swap out a blower resistor?[/Quote:15340e9aef]

Ok thank you, how will I be able to tell if it is burned?

Friday, February 6th, 2009 AT 9:17 AM
RHALL77

It will be either full of green corrision or brown from over heating

Friday, February 6th, 2009 AT 10:00 AM
GTAYLOR1823

When I put my highbeams on in my car the service engine light pops on and won't turn off until the car shuts off. Nothing happens when the light comes on but it gets annoying looking at it when it does it. What could be the problem?
Thank you

Friday, February 6th, 2009 AT 10:43 AM
RHALL77

Have it scanned for trouble codes and let me know what in the computer

Friday, February 6th, 2009 AT 10:45 AM
GTAYLOR1823

I tried to find the blower motor resistor, I removed the glovebox and I believe found the blower motor but I can't locate the resistor. I didn't see any wires leading anywhere. Would I need to remove the center of the console where the cd player is to find it?

Friday, February 6th, 2009 AT 11:33 AM
GTAYLOR1823

My trunk button by the steering wheel won't pop the trunk open. I checked the connection to the button and its good. If the bcm is faulty would that be a factor to it not opening?
Thank you for everything

Friday, February 6th, 2009 AT 12:22 PM
RHALL77

The resistor is under the glove box. You dont have to remove the glove box. Just remove the panel under it. Check and see if your fuses are ok for your trunk release button

Monday, February 9th, 2009 AT 3:42 PM
GTAYLOR1823

In the fuse box on the D.S door that houses a big fuse for the power doors, if its blown would it be a reason why the doors won't lock and unlock with the door switch?

Wednesday, March 11th, 2009 AT 7:41 PM