2001 CHEVY MALIBU POWER DOOR LOCKS DON'T WORK

• gtaylor1823
  • 2001 Chevrolet Malibu

2001 Chevy Malibu 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 119920 miles

I can unlock all four doors and when I put the car in drive, neutral, or reverse they will all lock. But the switch to the inside of the car won't lock or unlock them. Neither does my control, my remote won't lock the doors. I don't think that it is the original lock for the vehicle so I have no idea if the previous owner did something wrong. My remote and door switch won't lock or unlock the doors. But if I unlock the doors manually and put the car in drive they will all lock. What could the problem be?

Tuesday, February 3rd, 2009 AT 8:28 PM

• rhall77

Will they lock and unlock from the passenger side. You may have a problem in the bcm. Have it scanned for trouble codes

Wednesday, February 4th, 2009 AT 7:49 AM
  • gtaylor1823

No even from the passenger side switch the doors will not lock or unlock with it. The only time it locks is when the car is put in drive. I have a baby on the way and don't need to be fumbling with the locks you know lol. Um what is the bcm? But the doors won't lock or unlock with the switchs on either side or the remote and never have. What do you think that this could mean?
Thank you very much

Wednesday, February 4th, 2009 AT 9:15 PM
  • gtaylor1823

Thank you very much[/quote: b972b9208b]

Oh one other thing, does the middle console where the shifter is, is there a light or fuse that lights up the PRND12 gear symbols?
Thank you again

Wednesday, February 4th, 2009 AT 9:18 PM
  • rhall77

You BCM (body control module) some where is not recieving a signal from the switches or the remote control. Or it is recieving the signal and its not responding to it. Thats why you need to have it scanned for trouble codes to find out. Your local dealer can scan it for you. As for your shifter there is a light in there that most likely is burned out

Thursday, February 5th, 2009 AT 7:18 AM
  • gtaylor1823

Thank you so much for your help regarding this. So if I go to a chevy dealer and say " I need to have it scanned for trouble codes" they will know what I'm referring to? Or would they need to be caught up on the whole story?

Thursday, February 5th, 2009 AT 7:56 AM
  • rhall77

Tell them the whole story to be on the safe side

Thursday, February 5th, 2009 AT 7:58 AM
  • gtaylor1823

On my Malibu, my 1 and 2 for a/c and heater control button won't work. It turns but it won't blow at those intervals. Why won't it work for those? Oh and thank you for the light bulb thing, thats so much better.
Thank you

Thursday, February 5th, 2009 AT 7:59 PM
  • rhall77

Its usually caused by a bad blower resistor

Friday, February 6th, 2009 AT 7:13 AM
  • gtaylor1823

Is it difficult to change or swap out a blower resistor?

Friday, February 6th, 2009 AT 9:07 AM
  • rhall77

No there not bad. It is located under the passenger side dash. You will see the blower motor. It is right next to it towards the fire wall. There is about 4-5 wires going to it. Remove it and see if it is burned.

Friday, February 6th, 2009 AT 9:12 AM