CHEVY OVERHEATING ISSUE

2001 Chevrolet Malibu

lamm90

August, 12, 2008 AT 2:06 PM

Engine Cooling problem
2001 Chevy Malibu 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

I have an '01 malibu, I've had the intake manifold gasket, thermostat and the temp. Sensor replaced but it is still getting hot and seems to be losing fluid without any signs of leaking (stains on driveway.) It has been about 3 months since a new thermostat was installed and it went up to 260+ with the red warning light coming on, I pulled the hood latch button from inside the car and continued home (about 3 blocks, ) by the time I pulled into my driveway the temp. Started dropping almost as fast as it went up. I let it sit for a couple days and attempted to drive it again (hoping it was a fluke, ) and it began to get hot again. What do I look into now? Thank you for your time.

rhall77

August, 12, 2008 AT 9:08 PM

Pressure check the cooling system. Also did you make sure the you completely bleed the cooling system of all the air

lamm90

August, 12, 2008 AT 9:57 PM

The work was completed at a shop by certified mechanics, I can't say with 100% certainty, but I would imagine they did. The parts were replaced about 6months ago, and a second 'stat was installed about 2-3 months ago. Now it's getting hot again, I'm at a loss and the shops are crazy expensive ($275 just to replace the last 'stat.)

rhall77

August, 13, 2008 AT 7:13 AM

With the temp going up and down it sounds like there is air in the system from a leak or something. Go to auto zone or somewhere like that and see if they rent pressure testers for the cooling system, pressure up the system to 14-16 psi and watch for either the gauge to drop aand watch for a leak.

Jetsa

August, 13, 2008 AT 9:04 PM

Before any damage is done, you might want to check the oil level and see if it is too high and/or has a chocolate milk looking oil on it. Also pull the plug where you install oil in the engine doing an oil change. Look for the same chocolate milk looking substance on the cap and look down in the valve cover where the rocker arms are for the same substance. Any signs of this indicates the coolant is leaking internally in the engine, probably due to the intake leaking internally (even though it was recently done).

Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage