2001 Chevy Malibu dash board controller not working

SHERRIEMYERS
  • 2001 CHEVROLET MALIBU
Just had a bunch of work done on car. Replace fuel pump, new plugs, new wires, change radiator hose, flush radiator, new belts -replace roteres new brakes clean engine, change oil.
My husband did this as a favor while I was out of town. He took it to a unknown mechanic. When I first drove the car I noticed that the air conditioning was not functioning as before. I seemed that the dash board controller was not working- air was very cold but dial to say where air is expelled was not working. No matter where you said- feet- dash- feet& dash- defroster- etc It was allways the same. You could feel the cold air - lightly comming at dash and feet, no matter how you changed the dial. Also fan controll was either low or high- and high not as high as before. I took it back to mechanic they said it was either a vacume leak or the dash board controler. They then tested it and said it was the dash board controler. I have replaced the dash board controller and the same problem exists. I think it is a vacume leak. The controller dial for direction of air expell is vacume controlled. I tried to back track these little air hoses but lost them in a conduit under the dash board. Any Ideas?
Wednesday, June 24th, 2009 AT 3:00 PM

DOCFIXIT
Hi
On controler purple hose is vacuum source from engine check for vacuum. Red hose goes to mode accutuator see if vacuum is there when mode is selected. If these have vacuum then mode select acuator is faulty.
Hope this helps
Thanks for donate
Thursday, June 25th, 2009 AT 8:57 AM
SHERRIEMYERS
Hi Docfixit- I checked the purple hose and no vacuum. I removed the controller and then unplugged the mode selector and placed my finger tip over the hole where the purple tube is - and nothing. The car was running and the air was on.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/373526_purple_hose_controler_1.jpg

Friday, June 26th, 2009 AT 9:20 AM
DOCFIXIT
O.K. Purple hose must go through firewall and attach to intake manifold for vacuum. I can't tell from info I have where but search around it will be only hose through fire wall. Will most likely be black in engine compartment. And should have a check valve in line.
Friday, June 26th, 2009 AT 1:25 PM
SHERRIEMYERS
I have tried following the purple hose through the fire wall with no luck - I have taken the glove box out and it looks like the group of hoses enters into some kind of conduit and I can not see any thing from the inside of the fire wall - any Idea where on the intake manifold it might connect?
Friday, June 26th, 2009 AT 3:09 PM
DOCFIXIT
It goes into the wiring loom then out to enginel Look at top engine toward rear see the wirng loom out of it comes a vac line it should be purple but by now it may have faded to white, it connects to intake next to fuel pressure regulator.
Friday, June 26th, 2009 AT 3:17 PM