2001 Chevy Malibu ABS LIGHT STAYING ON & BRAKE "SC

MTRDUDE
  • 2001 CHEVROLET MALIBU
VIN #1G1ND52J816199867

This is my daughter's car. The ABS light is coming on and staying on and it occasionally gives a groaning noise; there is also has a "scrubbing" noise when the brakes are applied. These two items started occuring intermittently at the first of this year and have progressively become more noticeable. I replaced the front brake pads on 09/02/08 along with having the rotors turned. On 02/06/09 the noise & ABS light started occuring so I took it to a shop to have the ABS code(s) checked; they said there were no codes but they believed the right front hub bearing was going bad and causing the noise and ABS light to trigger because of the tone ring so I had them replace it. This worked for a couple weeks and then the same thing started happening. I then replaced the right front hub bearing myself to ensure that wasn't the problem but it made no difference, the noise and ABS light problem continued. I've pulled the wheels repeatedly and checked all brake condition and operation, everything is good. I haven't been able to do anything with the ABS light but I believe I have narrowed the "scrubbing" noise down to the right front brake assembly. I'm pretty much at my wits end and not sure where to go with this or what to diagnose next; not comfortable taking it somewhere. I welcome all suggestions.
Monday, June 15th, 2009 AT 7:08 PM

DOCFIXIT
Hi
Where the calipers replaced? If no you may want to do so caliper maybe dragging causing noise. Not sure about ABS without code. Need to have brake system diagnosticaly scanned to check wheel sensors and module.
Hope this helps
Thanks for donate
+1
Tuesday, June 16th, 2009 AT 1:04 PM
MTRDUDE
Looked back in the history and haven't replaced the calipers since she's had it, will probably do that & see if that helps. Are there any inexpensive ABS diagnostic testers out in aftermarket? I bought a Actron DTC reader a year ago for $120 and didn't know if there was any ABS equivalent to something like that.
Tuesday, June 16th, 2009 AT 1:29 PM
MTRDUDE
Replaced the calipers and that took care of the scrubbing/noise problem, thanks for the help. Still have the ABS light coming on, beginning to think the motor itself may be bad. Are there any inexpensive ABS diagnostic testers out in aftermarket? I bought a Actron DTC reader a year ago for $120 and didn't know if there was any ABS equivalent to something like that.
Wednesday, June 24th, 2009 AT 5:39 AM
DOCFIXIT
Hi
Do you have a CP9410? If yes no it will not code brakes. But Actron makes a brake scanner for $300.
Don't of any cheaper one.
Wednesday, June 24th, 2009 AT 10:00 AM
SWH213
If the light is off when you start if up and goes on after a tight turn - most likely cause is the wiring harness to the wheel speed sensors. You can get replacement harness sections and splice them in. Best to do in pairs, almost all the cars I only did one side on came back within a month or so for the other side. Cant be sure with out a code, but it was very common.
Wednesday, June 24th, 2009 AT 11:06 PM