2001 Chevy Malibu

MEXCHICK03
  • 2001 CHEVROLET MALIBU
Noises problem
2001 Chevy Malibu 6 cyl Automatic

My car is making a noise on the front left of the car. I thought it was the shocks/struts but I had them install and the noise did not go away. I can heard the sound every time I'm on the road when the pavement is not even, pot holes, speed bumps, etc.
Friday, October 17th, 2008 AT 11:58 AM

IMPALASS
Hello
There are several things that can cause what you seem to be describing. Do you know if they replaced the strut mount - item 11 in the pic. You have a strut mount, spring seat item 10 and insulator item 7.
The strut mount is located at the top of the strut assembly and is the mounting point for the strut. It is recommended that you replace the strut mounts any time you replace your strut assembly. If the mount is defective it allows the strut to bounce and make a sound like you are describing. The other parts need to be in good working condition to prevent metal on metal. Another possibility it once struts are replaced it is a good idea once the car is off jacks and resting on the tires, to ensure the strut mount nuts or bolts on top are tightened to the correct torque. If not, the strut will bound and hit the body making a noise. Additionally, it may sound wild, but there are times you can have a defective shock that is bouncing too much even though new. I recently installed new shocks, mounts, insulators, and spring seat. I still had a slight noise. Replaced the shocks again within a week and the sound was gone. This was a good name brand shock. Just sometimes that happens.

Also check the end links on the sway bar, item 12. The rubber does wear out, get torn and can move around.

My advice is to have the shop replace the mount, spring seat and insulator and maybe even the shock it they will. It should be under warranty. Hope this helps.

Thank you for the donation

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Shock_1.jpg

Friday, October 17th, 2008 AT 1:53 PM
MEXCHICK03
No they did not replace the strut mount.
Friday, October 17th, 2008 AT 3:53 PM
IMPALASS
Hello, again, there are several things that can cause this and there is no guarantee that if you tear it all apart and replace the mount etc and use the same shock it will go away. It was frustrating to me to repair it all and get the front end aligned, to tear it all apart again to get the front end aligned. If they would, I would replace the shock also while there just to be safe, and check the other components on the front end for any looseness. Good luck. Let us know.
Friday, October 17th, 2008 AT 4:30 PM
MEXCHICK03
The strut mount was replaced but the noice continued not the same as before but the noice was still present. The spring was then replaced on the left side where the noice seem to be coming from and the noice desapeared. It took a while to fix the problem but thank you for your help.
Sunday, January 11th, 2009 AT 12:12 PM
IMPALASS
Hello -

Thank you for the update.

It seems crazy but more and more it almost seems better to replace all things on the front sometimes. You don't always see it but when the shock starts to go that only puts more pressure on the spring to work harder thus wear out. Then the other components.

I am glad it is running okay now.
Sunday, January 11th, 2009 AT 6:28 PM