CHEVY MY CAR'S BATTERY...

2000 Chevrolet Malibu

kellyd86

2000 Chevy Malibu 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 175000 miles

I bought this car almost 6 months ago, and I never had a problem until we bought our second car, and the battery in that one was bad, and I ended up having to give it about 5 boosts over a period of about 4-5 days. (That car needed a new battery).
That's when the problems started for my car, I was driving one day and it just cut off on me, restarted right away, but the car cut off, no power steering or anything. This happened a total of 4 times over a 3 week period. That has since stopped happening, but now my car just wont start most of the time. I have to get a boost most times in order to get it started. It starts almost right away when I give it a boost.
I guess what I'm wondering is, do you think this is a battery problem or something more? I had it to a mechanic, but they couldn't find anything wrong, but that was back right after it cut off while I was driving the first time.
Do you think it is my battery? Or something else?
I guess I should mention as well, that when I bought the car, it had been sitting for roughly a year and not being used. I know that that is very bad on the battery, as is giving people a boost, and I think both those things, combined with the -30 to -40 weather has taken a toll on my battery.
Any information or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks you so much,

Kelly.

Not Charging Battery

Battery Will Not Charge

lsauto

I think u have got it right a battery that has been sitting up 4 a year and the cold temps have proby done it in, question 2 u is do u have lights ( ie dashlights headlights ) when the car wont start, also I would check the battery connections make sure they are clean and tight hope this helps lsauto

kellyd86

I do have a little bit of light, they flicker a bit as im trying to turn it over. I have had a problem with the lights flickering high and low for about 3 1/2 months. It started happening almost every time I would start the car, also her RPM's would go high - low, high - low as well.
I took a closer look at the battery today, and realized that it's the original battery to the car. Which is almost 9 years old now. So I'm quite positive that my battery is giving me the problems.
I made an appointment to put it in the shop on Thursday, getting a new battery, radiator hose (which I also noticed has a small crack and is leaking a tiny bit), oil change, 150 point inspection, and a tune up! Hopefully if there is anything else wrong besides the battery, they'll find it!
Thanks for your reply, if you thing there may be something else I should check out or anything be sure to let me know! : )

Thanks again,
Kelly!

lsauto

January, 14, 2009 AT 2:20 AM

K the lights comming on means that the battery connection is there as for the age 9 years is a long time for a battery u diff got your moneys worth on that one the only other thing that might give u a problem is the starter a bad battery will strain a starter so have the shop check the starting and charging systems too prevent a future brakedown just when u get it back lsauto

kellyd86

January, 14, 2009 AT 10:48 AM

Thanks a lot for your advice, and I will get them to check that as well tomorrow! : )

Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Guide
Alternator testing done right