2000 Chevy Malibu 2000 Malibu will not start

JWOLT
  • 2000 CHEVROLET MALIBU
I just replaced the lower intake manifold gasket on a 2000 Chevy Malibu 3.1. After finishing it developed a bad idle. It would drive fun but when stopping it would drop down below 500 RPM. It did drop to low once and stalled out while stopping. The check engine light came on shortly after. I thought maybe it was a bad plug wire, so I replaced them. When I started it after the wire change, it ran good and the idle seemed to be correct. The check engine light was still on so I took it to autozone to have the codes read. On the way there it started to idle rough when stopping again. As I pulled into the spot at autozone it stalled out. I had them check the codes and it showed a missfire on cylinder #6. They said it was most likely plugs or wires so I bought new plugs for it. When I went out to leave the car would not start and I had to tow it home. It turns over but it will not fire. I seem to be getting good spark and fuel. I will be going out today to get a fuel pressure gauge to check for sure. I have read that people have had problems with the ignition module, cam sensor, and crank sensor. Could one of these be causeing my problem and how can I test them out? Thanks for any help.
Wednesday, March 4th, 2009 AT 1:48 PM

Hello, I'd disable the fuel system, have a helper crank it, while you check for spark at the plugs. You can pull a plug wire loose, either use a spark tester or known good plug in the boot. Ground metal part of plug to metal part of engine, watch for spark at the tip of the plug while engine is being cranked. Also check for injector pulse. Checking for fuel pressure is a good idea, like you mentioned.
Wednesday, March 4th, 2009 AT 1:57 PM