I decided to open up my car and see if I could tell what was wrong, since winter in the Midwest is the wrong time and place to go without wipers.
After removing the plastic cowl covering the wiper motor, I discovered that the metal bracket of the motor had broken, so it wasn t mounted to the car anymore. Also, there was a bar the motor should have been bolted to. But one of the tapped holes on the motor itself had broken in half, and the bolt was lying on the shelf below the motor. And the other bolt holding that bar to the motor had been sheared in half. (I bought a new bolt and a lock washer at the hardware store.) So the entire motor was basically lying on that shelf.
It took me a couple hours to replace the motor with a remanufactured one, mostly because it was so cold outside and I had to play detective to figure out exactly how the motor was supposed to mount to the car. It s hard to replace something you ve never seen before when it s not in the correct position to begin with. My Chilton s book had pictures of a different motor than the one in my car, so it wasn t much help. After putting the wiper assembly together and taking it apart a few times, I finally figured out how to install it correctly. It works great now.
Monday, February 18th, 2008 AT 8:24 AM