1999 Chevy Malibu Heater Fan Speed

JOHN LACKO
  • 1999 CHEVROLET MALIBU
This vehicle has a 5 speed fan for both heating and cooling. Recently I've noticed that the fan operates in only 4 and 5. I've checked the appropriate fuses on the side access panel on the driver's side of the dash as well as the fuse block on the driver's side under the hood. I've pulled the heater control assembly out of the counsel and tested the switch. It has continuity for all 5 positions. Is there a switch/control under the hood that I am missing?
Wednesday, January 9th, 2008 AT 7:51 PM

MASTERTECHTIM
Yes you are missing the heater resistor, located under the passengers hush panel. Right next to the blower motor. You will see the wires from the blower motor go to it. There are 3 5.5mm or 7/32 screws that hold it in. Every single malibu in america needs one. Its a ceramic board that will be melted. The new updated one is much heavier. Very inexpensive fix.
Wednesday, January 9th, 2008 AT 9:05 PM