1999 Chevy Malibu crank but no start

GROGG1256
  • 1999 CHEVROLET MALIBU
1999 Malibu LS 3.1 L Style M OBDII

Previously.
-Dim headlights
-Random ABS, Brake, Theft Light, but always off at next start up
-Sun Roof doest always like to close
-Gas gauge works until your down to a half tank, then it starts to go back up instead of down until its empty, then it shows empty
-Sometimes when you turn on the a/c, the gas gauge jumps to full and stays there until you shut it off
-Check engine came on once, but was off at next start up
-occasionally had to tap gas at startup

And then.
-Driving home, turned right --car died, no warning lights, or funny noises, just died.
-Initially restarted, but it was rough and sounded like it had a timing issue.
-Towed it home and now it will crank but not start.

-tried ether, no fire--but you can hear the fuel pump
-spark plug test shows no spark
-checked all fuses inside and underhood
-all 3 coils and coil wire were checked
-changed crank position sensor, no change
-changed ignition control module, no change
-changed igntion switch, no change
-checked the only known fusible link by the alternator, its good
-checked for continuity and connection issues around cps, icm, and pcm
-did the relearn procedure for the computer

It is not passlock, the security light does not flash. Tried to reset it anyways, and the light never went off

The multimeter died after checking the igntion switch--coincidence?

SO whats left? Why wont my car start?
Sunday, June 29th, 2008 AT 10:46 PM

Does the battery have a full charge, are the cables clean and tight on both ends? Are there any codes?

If you have no spark anywhere, with the engine cranking, I'd start testing the circuits at the ignition module. Did you test for B+ and ground at the ignition module, with the key on? The pink wire is B+ goes hot when you turn the key on, the black wire is ground. You take the connector loose, put a testlite between the pink and black wire, turn on the key, you don't need to crank it. The testlite should come on? If it doesn't, try using chassis/engine ground instead of the black wire, anything?

If that checks out, there is a purple wire with a white tracer that goes from the ignition module to the computer, with the engine cranking, there should be a pluse on that wire?

My info shows two crank sensors on your vehicle, I don't know which one you replaced or of you replaced both? I'm not saying to replace anything, just do some testing.
+1
Monday, June 30th, 2008 AT 12:46 PM
GROGG1256
I had my husband check all the wiring you suggested--still nothing. He changed the 7x crankshaft sensor. Im starting to wonder if it isnt the pcm itself--nothing is adding up--
Monday, June 30th, 2008 AT 10:16 PM
I need the results of the tests. With the key on, is the pink wire at the ignition module, hot?

With the engine cranking is there a pulse on the purple wire with the white tracer?
Tuesday, July 1st, 2008 AT 9:08 AM
GROGG1256
Yes--both the pink and the purple and wire wire were hot while crankinging--thanks for the help !
Tuesday, July 1st, 2008 AT 9:46 AM
The purple wire with white tracer, should have a pulse, on and off signal, with the engine cranking. The white wire also.

A dmm with a tack or duty cycle or dwell setting will react to a pulse. If your just looking at voltage, I'm not sure what it would show.

You may have to check the cam sensor, I believe that is a hall switch, three wires, voltage, ground, signal. The brown wire with the white tracer, should be the signal wire, the other two are voltage and ground. If I'm testing circuits that go to the computer, I try to use a led testlite. I try not to plug or unplug sensors with the key on. You can unplug the cam sensor connector, turn on the key, use the testlite between the voltage and ground terminal, see if you get a lite? If you do, turn the key off, plug in the connector, crank the engine, backprobe the signal wire, brown with a white tracer, see if there is a signal?

The cam signal and the 7X may have to be in sync, your starting to get into issues, that, at the very least, you need a good scanner.
Tuesday, July 1st, 2008 AT 11:04 AM
GROGG1256
Sorry it took so long to reply--but I had to wait until we could afford a scanner--and guess what--no codes!
He was unable to measure a pulse, but the purple and white wire is hot.
But because there ar eno cides--what could it be--from reading the manual that cam with the sensor--everything has a code!
Friday, July 11th, 2008 AT 1:05 AM
A scanner will show live engine data plus trouble codes, a code reader won't show live engine data.

I've always thought for some manufacturers to call a code reader, a scanner, misrepresented the instrument. I'm not trying to argue the point, people can call it, what ever they want.

Live engine data will show an rpm signal with the vehicle cranking, the rpm signal comes from the crank sensor. A good scanner will show if there is a signal from the crank sensors and cam sensor, plus alot more information.

The way I see it, if the ignition module is good and you have B+ and ground to the module and there is a signal from the crank sensor that plugs into the module, there should be spark at the plugs while cranking.

I've seen plenty of times when a code should set, but, never did. Because you can't check for an rpm signal, I'm not sure where to go from here? You might be able to trick the ignition module by using a testlite connected to B+ and tickle the A&C crank sensor terminals alternately at the ignition module cavity for the crank sensor plug. You need a spark tester, I guess a known good spark plug would work, just pull a plug boot, stick the plug in the boot, lay metal park of plug against metal part of engine, turn on the key, tickle the terminals already mentioned, see if you can induce a spark at the test plug.

I just wanted to add, test for spark with the multiwire connector loose from the ignition module. If you don't feel comfortable testing, then don't.
Friday, July 11th, 2008 AT 10:52 AM