1999 CHEVY MALIBU COOLANT LOSS AND NO HEAT STUMPED!

• Reaian
  • 1999 Chevrolet Malibu

Engine Cooling problem
1999 Chevy Malibu 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 95000 miles

Help Originally I had combustion gasses in the cooling system so I tore it down to replace the head gaskets only to find them in decent shape. So I had the heads pressure checked. No leaks, and surfaced.005", new gaskets and bolted it back up. Started it, ran fine, let it get a temp and checked for heat. Had it for half a minute then nothing. Shortly after this the resevior overflowed for a minute or two then sucked dry and the low coolant light came on so I added more only to have it happen again in a few minutes, thinking I had an air pocket I opened the bleeder and no matter how long I left it open or when I opened it I couldnt get a steady stream of water sometimes none. Also dont kno if this is related but the gas needle fluctuates between half and full randomly. After you shut the car off you can hear the coolant boiling back into the resevior and it doesnt want to start again right away you either have to give it a few minutes or give it throttle. The oil is oil and what is left of the coolant/now mostly water is clear! Any ideas greatly appreciated! Thankx

Friday, December 12th, 2008 AT 1:32 PM

• Zackman

Replace your radiator cap. Usually bad cap will act the way you describe, loss of coolant and boiling reservoir after shut off.

Monday, December 15th, 2008 AT 6:01 PM
  • Reaian

Thankx that was it!

Wednesday, December 17th, 2008 AT 10:18 AM
  • Zackman

Glad we can help. Come back any time.

Wednesday, December 17th, 2008 AT 4:59 PM