CHEVY ENGINE NOISES

1998 Chevrolet Malibu

cowilliams1026

April, 7, 2008 AT 5:35 PM

Noises problem
1998 Chevy Malibu 6 cyl Automatic 100000 miles

Ever since I bought my car it has made this winding noise when the car is on. When you step on the gas the winding gets slightly louder until the I get to a certain point where I can coast, however as soon as I step on the gas again the sound comes back. It does it all the time and when I asked about it when I looked at the car originially, I was told that they 'all do that' (i was suckered I know). Either way, i've been told that it may be able to be fixed by changing a pully in the engine and i'm just wondering if from what i've described or tried to anyway, you think getting a new pulley is what is really wrong. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm ready to finally have a silent ride. Thx in advance.

dennyp

April, 7, 2008 AT 9:46 PM

The noise could be the alternator, power steering pump, transmission pump, or torque converter. You should take it to a good mechanic to have it diagnosed.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Replacement