1998 Chevy Malibu Anti Freeze

ROSE121908
  • 1998 CHEVROLET MALIBU
Engine Cooling problem
1998 Chevy Malibu

I have a car that is pouring out anti freeze and I don't know why. I also have a problem with the radiator hose and I don't know what it is? Can anyone help me?
Monday, November 10th, 2008 AT 9:23 PM

IMPALASS
Hello

First I need to know if this is a 4 or 6 cylinder?

Next, I need you to be more specific. When you say your car is pouring out anti freeze, where is it coming out of?

Which radiator hose do you have a problem with, the upper or lower and what is it doing?
Monday, November 10th, 2008 AT 9:35 PM
ROSE121908
It's a 4 cylinder, and the anti freeze is leakin out of the back of the lower raidiator hose.
Monday, November 10th, 2008 AT 9:51 PM
IMPALASS
It sounds like your lower radiator hose has torn or split from what you say if you can see it leaking out of where it connects. All you have to do is purchase a replacement from the auto parts, get a couple 50/50 mix of antifreeze and replace the hose and refill with antifreeze.
Make sure you first fill your radiator as full as it will go. Then start the car and let it idle with the cap off. Turn your heater on high. As long as it isn't running out of the top of the radiator allow it to run and keep an eye on the temp gauge so it doesn't get too hot.
Add fluid as it goes down. Again, keep an eye on the temp gauge. Put the radiator cap on and let run keeping an eye on the temp. After 5 minutes or so, turn it off and let it sit and cool before checking the fluid level.
Monday, November 10th, 2008 AT 11:00 PM
ROSE121908
Sorry Not to good at this, but if it leaks antifreeze from the left side of the car behind the tire what would that be the raidiator hose (lower or Upper), or water pump? Because It's running hot and when you pour antifreeze in it, it pours back out.
Tuesday, November 11th, 2008 AT 11:32 AM
IMPALASS
Hello

I understand I am unclear as to where you are talking about it leaking when you say left side, are you talking about the passenger side or drivers side?

Also, when you say the tire, are you talking about the front or rear tire?

On something like this, so you don't burn your engine up, especially since you need immediate answers, it would be better to get a neighbor, friend etc that has a little understanding about cars that can one, explain what and where or provide you immediate answers to prevent damage to your engine.
Tuesday, November 11th, 2008 AT 6:52 PM