Lumina transmission shifting problem

RICHARD BROUGHTON
  • CHEVROLET LUMINA
I have a 1991 Chevy Lumina (140,000 miles) with a four speed automatic. With the shift selector set in D3 or D4, there are no problems with 1st or 2nd. However, when it tries to shift up into 3rd, it is just like it goes into neutral and revs up. There is no partial engagement at all, until the car slows down and it downshifts back into 2nd. This problem appeared suddenly, with no partial slipping, shuddering, etc, but it was there after the car had set unused for about two months. I installed a new filter and the fluid level is correct. Could this be a problem with the modulator valve or something else that is stuck from the car sitting unused? Or, what other things are likely suspects? Thanks for any ideas!

P.S. I installed a new modulator valve (since it was inexpensive and easy to do) and the vacuum line to it is working fine. This effort made no difference and was a useless "stab in the dark", except that I have now eliminated my only idea. Please, if anyone has ideas to share regarding this problem, I would certainly be appreciative.
Wednesday, December 27th, 2006 AT 7:21 AM

ZACH--
I got the same thing going on with my truck
Thursday, December 28th, 2006 AT 1:44 PM