1999 Chevy Lumina Very Little or no heat

JCORCIONE
  • 1999 CHEVROLET LUMINA
We have a 99 chevy Lumina 3.8 Litre engine. The radiator was replaced 18 months ago and upper and lower radiator hoses and thermostat were replaced about 5 months ago. Now that it seems to be getting cooler outside the heater is blowing luke warm to cool air at operating temp. We also noticed some steam or smoke comming from the front driver side which looks like it is comming from underneath the hose leading to the thermstat. Coolant level is fine in the reservoir and radiator.
Tuesday, October 21st, 2008 AT 11:20 PM

Hi:
If you had the hose replaced, check to see if it's tight. Also, mak sure the t-stat housing is tight.

The heater is another issue. The heater core may be plugged. One easy way to check is to locate the heater hoses under the hood. There is an inlet and outlet. With the engine running at operating temp and the heater on, feel both hoses. One should be VERY HOT and the other just slightly cooler. The hottest one is the inlet. The SLIGHTLY cooler one is the oitlet. If the outlet is cold or MUCH cooler than the inlet, it sounds like the core may be partially plugged and need replaced.

NOTE: THE HEATER HOSES HAVE THE POTENTIAL OF REACHING TEMPS. OF OVER 200 DEGREES. BE CAREFUL!

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Thursday, October 23rd, 2008 AT 3:28 PM
JCORCIONE
We will check that tonight. Thanks for the response.
Friday, October 24th, 2008 AT 3:59 PM