1999 Chevy Lumina Blinkers on fritz

GOPHER4
  • 1999 CHEVROLET LUMINA
Lately my turn signals only work if I hold them halfway down. I have tried the turn signal fuze and all other fuzes related to the turn signal. I have also checked the bulbs in each of the lights. When the turn signal is depressed all the way, it does not blink at all.

Someone mentioned there may be a short, but what is the best way to diagnose this issue without tearing into my steering column? Could there be a short in my signal tree? Also, when depressed, the hazards work sometimes, but not all the time.

Any help is appreciated!
John
Monday, February 9th, 2009 AT 10:23 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
Inspect your flasher. It runs both the turn signals and the hazards in your vehicle. It is located behind the left hand side of the instrument panel, mounted in the bulkhead. Let me know results of replacing this and I will follow up.

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com!
Tuesday, February 10th, 2009 AT 1:33 AM
GOPHER4
Hey bluelightnin6,

Thanks for the quick response! I have tried swapping out the flasher before and that does not remedy the problem. Signals still only work when I hold down the turn signal switch, about halfway.
-If I go to far or not far enough, they blink twice as fast.
-If they are all the way down, they don't blink at all.

Any other thoughts?
Tuesday, February 10th, 2009 AT 7:08 AM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Is the hazard switch located on the turn signal switch? If so then the switch may be faulty.
Tuesday, February 10th, 2009 AT 9:52 AM
GOPHER4
The hazards are located on the top of the steering column and the turn signal tree is to the left of the steering column. So I assume that they are independent. Do you think taking off the top part of the column is a good place to start?
Wednesday, February 11th, 2009 AT 6:34 AM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Since the hazards and the turn signal are separate and are both having issues then, yes, I would suspect some faulty wiring in the column. Is your vehicle equipped with tilt steering? If it is, and used often, this sometimes causes binding issues with the wiring and starts to break the isolation rubber off then causes shorts. Let me know how the wiring looks and I will follow up.

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com!
Wednesday, February 11th, 2009 AT 12:01 PM
GOPHER4
Thanks for the info. It does have tilt steering so I will look at that to see if anything is binding or pinched loose. Sorry it has been awhile. Just spent the weekend moving and email was down for awhile!

I will follow up when I have a chance to look things over.
Monday, February 16th, 2009 AT 9:22 PM