1999 CHEVY LUMINA '99 LUMINA LS 3.1L, POOR GAS MILEAGE AND

• ctan800
  • 1999 Chevrolet Lumina

1999 Chevy Lumina 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 110000 miles

I paid $2300 for a used Chevy Lumina LS (the car, not the van) and weeks later I noticed the car has been losing power, going even slower than idle speed when I touch the gas pedal. In a minute or two, or if I pump the gas, the car begins to run normally. Shifting the car into overdrive for a few blocks seems to alleviate the problem faster.

I cannot replicate the problem, it just comes on randomly, at least twice a day. Usually it happens in the morning after I wake up from sleeping, but temperature does not seem to be relevant, on "cold" Vegas mornings, or on hot Vegas afternoons, the problem comes up again.

It seems like the engine is really struggling and running extremely rich. I calculated the gas mileage, and I only got 11 MPG, and that is talking about freeway speeds here in Las Vegas.

I pulled my car into a Autozone and after using a computer to scan my ECU for trouble codes, it pulled out a P1133 on my #1 cylinder for the O2 sensor "Insufficient Switching".

When I brake hard because of asshole drivers who are on their cell phones (and narrowly avoid a accident), the engine felt like it is stalling. When I touch the gas pedal again, it roughly goes back up to speed by jerking, then running normally.

Occasionally I can smell gasoline when I am driving.

I know the car is running really rich, but I do not want to invest $125 for a diagnostic by Chevrolet dealerships.

I am not sure if its really a bad O2 Sensor, or that it indicates a much more severe problem.

Should I pull my car into a dealership or just sell it? I want to know whether or not this is truly a complicated problem, or malfunctioning sensors or fuel injectors (I have used fuel injector cleaners, and iso-HEET when I thought there was water in my gas).

Friday, September 3rd, 2010 AT 4:43 PM