1997 Chevy Lumina 97 Lumina will turn over but not start

DAVEF73
  • 1997 CHEVROLET LUMINA
1997 Chevy Lumina 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

my 97 lumina will turn over but not start. It just happened. And it was very recent. We did fill up with Arco gas, and ran it until about a 1/4 tank left. It sat overnight and then would not start. Checked several things. First put in good quality fuel and a bottle of HEET into the gas tank. No start. Then replaced spark plugs. No start. Then sprayed starting fluid into the carberator. Tried starting it and after a few tries it worked. It ran for about a week or 2 then wouldnt start again. Sprayed the carberator again with starting fluid and it worked. Changed the fuel filter as a precaution, thought the old one was still good. Then went on a trip (about 200 miles round trip) on the way back filled up at a Chevron. Got home and the next morning it wont start. Sprayed more starting fluid and this time it did not work. Took out the IAC and cleaned it. Reinstalled it, but still wont start. Put in a little more starting fluid into the carb, and it sputtered and tried to start, but as of now it wont start. I bought a Chilton manual, but still an frustrated. Seems the first time it happened is when we got ARCO gas. Before that no problems. This has been over the course of about a month.
Sunday, February 1st, 2009 AT 7:21 PM

DOCFIXIT
Can you get the fuel pressure checked? When it won't start do you hear the pump hum?
Monday, February 2nd, 2009 AT 9:16 AM
DAVEF73
Yes the pump does hum like it should. Pretty sure its getting gas. I tried again today to start it. I started by spraying start fluid into the carb. Then tried to turn it over. It sputtered. But that was that. It wont start again. I also took the spark plugs out to see if it was getting spark. I could feel and smell oil on the plug so im not sure what to make of this one.
Monday, February 2nd, 2009 AT 4:50 PM
DOCFIXIT
Pull the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator any fuel in hose or regulator?
Tuesday, February 3rd, 2009 AT 7:53 AM
DAVEF73
I did more checking and reading through the Chilton manual. Then my girlfriend suggested that I call around to local auto shops and attempt to pick their brains.
I called one and they said no way. No advice on the phone. Then the second one was very nice and we had a good convo. On the car. He finally suggested the course of action to take is to replace the ignition control module. And if I can score them the coil packs as well. I am planning to call around to see if I can find an ICM at wrecking yards where I can pull it myself. And see if that is the issue. I am 90% sure im getting fuel. I did the spark test and saw that I was not getting spark.
Tuesday, February 3rd, 2009 AT 11:14 AM
YUNGFOON
Did you fix your problem?I have the similar problem.
Friday, June 12th, 2009 AT 8:48 AM
TIGER123
I had same problem. My mechanic change ignition coil and pick up coil and its working fine.
Saturday, July 11th, 2009 AT 9:01 PM