1997 Chevy Lumina

LEO090
  • 1997 CHEVROLET LUMINA
I have a Chevy Lumina V6 3.1L Sedan with 60k mileage. The engine runs normally and accelerates just fine during street driving and highway driving without using air-conditioning. If I turn on air-conditioning and take the car on the highway eventually the car will have poor accelleration, I can floor the pedal and the engine barely responds and its hard to get the car up to 50mph. And also have poor braking and it seems my rpms get stuck around 1800rpm. When I brake I feel like I am fighting the engine to stop. Then when I let go of the brakes after a full stop on the highway, the car will lunge forward and accelerate on its own to 10mph. I had my idler sensor replaced more than a year ago for engine starting problems, I did not have this issue before that, but I do know if that is the reason for this problem. Please help me out.

This problem lasts until I turn off my engine and restart. (Then doesnt happen until I turn on my a/c and go on highway.)

If I do not turn on my a/c the highway driving is just fine, no issues arise then.
Monday, May 24th, 2010 AT 11:43 AM

BMRFIXIT
Check for codes
check EGR
suspect bad IAC valve
Tuesday, May 25th, 2010 AT 5:42 AM