1995 Chevy Lumina Brake Lights

AMEISSNER
  • 1995 CHEVROLET LUMINA
I have a 1995 Chevy Lumina V6 with 100,000 miles. I have a couple problems that may or may not be related. If I press the turn signal lever all the way down (where it locks in place), the signal light will not come on, but if I hold the turn signal lever down (not quite to the point that it locks in place), the signal lights will work. The main problem that I have though, is my outside brake lights don't work. I have tried the bulbs, fuses and wiring with no luck. The brake light in the back window comes on when I hit the brakes, but none of the outside brake lights do. The rear lights (same bulbs as the brakes) work when I turn on the headlights, but when the brake is applied, they do not come on. I am going to look into having the turn signal switch replaced and I am hoping that is what is causing both problems. Thanks!
Tuesday, September 4th, 2007 AT 2:08 PM

MERLIN2021
Who know. With a shot accross the contacts in the multifunction switch, yes I think it's a good bet!
Tuesday, September 4th, 2007 AT 3:28 PM
PWNMONKEY
I have the same issue with the same year Lumina.

The problems you described are the same as mine; brake lights not working with tail lights and such, except my turn signals dont work at all.

I'll re-post if replacing the switch corrects the problem, I can't see what else it could be.
Tuesday, December 18th, 2007 AT 12:24 PM
PWNMONKEY
Okay, so I pull out of the shop yesterday after posting the above, and when I flip the right turn signal - IT WORKS.

I tried the left signal and it only worked for me when I gently pushed it down and it would not stay activated while locked in place. Sometimes the right signal will not lock in with the signal activated, and has to be held as well.

I replaced the two tail lights before I even took apart the steering column, so I am wondering what had more to do with it. Obviously the switch is bad (apparently a shop rumor that these things happen with GM's of that simmilar make and year.) I did not replace the switch, I put the old one back to save a little money for the holidays since I can now signal.
Wednesday, December 19th, 2007 AT 7:29 AM
D PALMQUIST
Same problem with my 1996 Lumina sedan.

If I put the turn signal in its locked position, the in-dash signal indicator blinks rapidly, which would normally indicate a burnt-out bulb. However, if I hold it slightly out of position, it works fine.

The cruise control stopped working for a few months. Its switch is part of the multifunction switch. It started working again spontaneously after a few months.

Now the brake lights don't work reliably, unless I hold the turn signal position slightly forward when I press the brakes.

Something buggy here, I think.
Saturday, September 27th, 2008 AT 3:16 AM