1993 Chevy Lumina 1993 Chevrolet Lumina Base 6Cyl 3.1L - NO

DALTY
  • 1993 CHEVROLET LUMINA
1993 Chevy Lumina 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

1993 Chevrolet Lumina Base 6Cyl 3.1L -

okay. I have a chevy lumina 6 cyl 3.1 2 door coupe. It has absouluty NO power.
it starts right up, but you have to floor it to get anywhere and that rusults in using a crazy amount of gas. Ive replaced the fuel filer, ignition coils, fixed timing, fixed the gaps in the spark plugs, replaced spark plugs, checked the fuel injector pressure, fuel pump is good. Fire and spark is good. Battery is good. Ive also got the ignition module tested they said its working properly. There is nothing showing up on my control panel like check engine, ect. WHAT COULD THIS BE? PLEASE HELP ME
Tuesday, August 3rd, 2010 AT 9:29 PM

DALTY
NOBODY KNOWS? I was thinking catalyic converter but, if it was clogged up woulndt it glow orange after travling forabout 10 to 15 miles at 60 to 65 mph? I would think so, please help me out and respond
Friday, August 6th, 2010 AT 11:32 AM
KHLOW2008
Hi dalty,

Thank you for the donation.

If the catalytic converter is clogged, it would not glow red hot. It would glow red hot when excessive fuel is getting to it, such as a bad or misfiring cylinder.

Was anything done prior to it occurring?
Some trouble codes do not cause the CEL to show and here are the procedures for retrieving trouble codes. Let me know if any found.

RETRIEVING CODES (NON-SCAN)

NOTE:
Inserting jumper wire into test and ground terminals of ALDL connector with engine running will cause fuel injected vehicles to enter field service mode. Flashes of SERVICE ENGINE SOON light will not indicate codes if this is done.

1.Turn ignition on. DO NOT start engine. SERVICE ENGINE SOON light should glow. Locate Assembly Line Data Link (ALDL) connector attached to control module wiring harness. Insert jumper wire from terminal "B" (diagnostic test terminal) to terminal "A" (ground) of ALDL connector. See Fig. 1 .

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_ALDL93LuminaFig01_1.jpg

2.SERVICE ENGINE SOON light should begin to flash codes. Each code will be repeated 3 times. If codes are not flashed or SERVICE ENGINE SOON light does not glow, perform DIAGNOSTIC CIRCUIT CHECK. To exit diagnostic mode, turn ignition off and remove jumper wire from ALDL connector.

NOTE:
Inserting jumper wire into test and ground terminals of ALDL connector with engine running will cause fuel injected vehicles to enter field service mode. Flashes of SERVICE ENGINE SOON light will not indicate codes if this is done. See FIELD SERVICE MODE CHECK in BASIC TESTING article in this section.
Friday, August 6th, 2010 AT 1:36 PM
DALTY
Its not glowing red. And it dont show any codes. Hasnt. I bought it from a individul that didnt have the time for it.
Friday, August 6th, 2010 AT 1:40 PM
DALTY
Yeah. Have had the computer ran on it. Not showing any codes. You didnt even answer my MAIN question

1993 Chevrolet Lumina Base 6Cyl 3.1L -

It starts right up, but you have to floor it to get anywhere and that rusults in using a crazy amount of gas. Ive replaced the fuel filer, ignition coils, fixed timing, fixed the gaps in the spark plugs, replaced spark plugs, checked the fuel injector pressure, fuel pump is good. Fire and spark is good. Battery is good. Ive also got the ignition module tested they said its working properly. There is nothing showing up on my control panel like check engine, ect. WHAT COULD THIS BE? PLEASE HELP ME
Friday, August 6th, 2010 AT 1:55 PM
KHLOW2008
You mentioned replacing so many items but were they done because of the problem?

I asked if anything was done prior to it occurring as I need to understand the problem.
I also need o understand if any trouble codes are showing. If you need a fast answer, then you would need to have a person standing next to the vehicle to check and test it.

If I had been able to answer the question by just what you mentioned, then I would not need to ask for more details.

If no codes are showing and everything looks good, you would have to check the exhaust for clogging. The most common cause of exhaust clogging would be the catalytic converter.
Friday, August 6th, 2010 AT 2:06 PM
DALTY
Yes ive replaced all them things trying to figure out the issue. NO CODES are showing up. Ill be back if the catalyic converter is not the problem. Give me a few days and ill let you know reguardless
Friday, August 6th, 2010 AT 2:11 PM
KHLOW2008
Ok, keep me updated, I would like to know the cause as well.
Friday, August 6th, 2010 AT 2:30 PM
DALTY
I took the o2 sensor off and it still has no power
Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 AT 3:00 AM
KHLOW2008
The O2 sensor and catalytic converter are 2 different thing. O2 sensor may fail and cause engine control faults but the catalytic converter can get clogged if it is faulty. You need to remove the catalytic converter to check for clogging. Test drive with it removed, though the noise would be loud as the exhaust system has been disconnected, to confirm it is not the cause.
Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 AT 5:41 AM
DALTY
We checked the catalytic convertor when we did the o2 sensor so that isn't the problem either. Any other opinions
Wednesday, August 18th, 2010 AT 8:35 PM
KHLOW2008
Here is a list to check. See if you had missed anything and if none works, I would suggest going over them once again to ensure nothing had been missed out or wrongly adjusted/installed during your previous repairs/checks.

LACK OF POWER OR SLUGGISH
Symptom Definition
Engine delivers less power than expected. Little or no increase in speed when accelerator is pushed down.

Possible Cause & Correction
Check following items:

Ensure air filter and fuel filter are not plugged. Replace if necessary. Check for incorrect fuel pressure.

Check for proper operation of thermostatic air cleaner damper door.

Ensure initial ignition timing is properly set.

Check for proper operation of TCC or VCC system.

Check ESC system for excessive retard.

Check EST system for proper operation.

Ensure EGR valve is not open all the time.

Check exhaust system for restrictions, such as a damaged or collapsed pipe, muffler or catalytic converter.

Check charging system output. Repair charging system if voltage is less than 9 volts or more than 17 volts.

Check for A/C clutch cutout at wide open throttle.

Check MAP sensor output.

Using Spark Tester (ST-125), check for available secondary voltage.

Check engine valve timing and compression.

Check ECM grounds for clean, tight connections.

Check for a worn camshaft.

Check for excessive fuel additives.

Check if throttle plate is opening fully when accelerator is fully deprssed.
.
Thursday, August 19th, 2010 AT 6:36 AM
NICKHEADZ34
Check your fuel pressure while driving( take a buddy to watch the guage) no power could easly be a faulty fuel pump.
Sunday, October 3rd, 2010 AT 6:40 PM