1991 Chevy Lumina Trying to crank over. Blows A Fuse?

DORATHEEXPLORER
  • 1991 CHEVROLET LUMINA
1991 Chevy Lumina 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

I've got a 1991 Lumina. When I try to start the car, it starts to crank for like a second, then blows a fuse under the hood, then nothing. Any ideas? Please help.
Wednesday, January 21st, 2009 AT 9:31 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
Which fuse is it blowing? May be a bare wire running to that fuse that is earthing, causing fuse to blow. If that specific fuse is needed for vehicle to start, this would be the reason for no start.

Post the fuse component and the condition of the wiring and I will follow up.

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com !
Wednesday, January 21st, 2009 AT 9:47 PM
DORATHEEXPLORER
OK, got it home and pulled out the 10amp ecm fuse. Put in a 15 amp and car starts everytime. It was suggested that the fan relays may be causing the fuse to blow. The only relays in this fuse box are the fan relays. No visible bare wires.
New problem. Car is on; when I turn on the headlights the headlight warning dinger remains on? No doors are open. There are alot of fuses and relays and dingers under the passenger side of the car where the sound is coming from; can't narrow it down. The only thing I can read is AC relays. Got maybe a diagram & explanation for this area?
Monday, January 26th, 2009 AT 10:31 AM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Okay, if your ECM fuse is what keeps blowing then you definitely have a short somewhere. Do the interior lights and/or door ajar light come on when the headlights ding? It could be one of your door ajar switches in the door jamb that is shorting out causing these problems. Try spraying WD-40 or equivalent light oil in the door jambs and see if it temp. Fixes the headlight dinging. Can't seem to find diagram of that specific area right now but I will continue to look and ask around and get back with you on that.

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com !
Monday, January 26th, 2009 AT 11:25 AM
DORATHEEXPLORER
No indicator lights or interior light comes on. I checked the door jamb switches and they seemed fine. So, the 15 amp fuse in place of the original 10 amp is obviously a temporary fix? Is it going to hurt/blow-up anything by leaving the 15 amp in there? Really appreciate your help and your prompt responses. Thanks
Monday, January 26th, 2009 AT 12:40 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Okay. Well it may be connected to your headlight switch itself then. Replacing a fuse with a larger Amp fuse is never a good idea. The fuse is blowing to prevent a fire/damage to components so if you replace that fuse with a larger fuse then it will not be able to blow out as easy and could cause a fire/damage. 5 Amps isn't really much but then again, I wouldn't risk it.

I have another tech coming to help out here so just hang in there and we will get you fixed up best we can.

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com!
Monday, January 26th, 2009 AT 12:53 PM
DORATHEEXPLORER
Yeah, the dinger thing is weird. All of the lights work properly on the car; interior & exterior. It's just the noise that won't silence. As far as the fuse, I know it's a bad idea. Had to do what I had to do; ya know. Again, the only relays in this fuse box are the fan relays, and no visible bare wires. I plan on selling the car but don't want to hand over this headache to some un-suspecting soul.
Monday, January 26th, 2009 AT 1:22 PM
KHLOW2008
Hi DoratheExplorer,

Just want to confirm a few things.

Does the warning chime comes on ONLY when headlights are ON? With or without ignition switch ON or engine running?

The ECM fuse in underhood left electrical center is rated as 20 A, item # 1 in diagram. It is also for the fuel pump and since you have a 10 A fuse, it would blow as it does nt have the capacity to run the fuel pump for extended eriods.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_FuseBox91Lumina02_1.jpg

-2
Monday, January 26th, 2009 AT 1:34 PM
DORATHEEXPLORER
Would you possibly have a fuse diagram, (under the hood on passenger side of vehicle) for a 91 Lumina. I want to make sure I have the right fuse. I may have gotten it wrong. As for the lights, dinger sounds when headlights are turned on with & without car running.
Monday, January 26th, 2009 AT 1:50 PM
DORATHEEXPLORER
Here's apicture of the fuse box (passenger side, under hood). The fuse that keeps blowing is the distributor fuse (10amp). Also, could you tell me what all the other fuses to the right are for. There are 3 60amp & 3 30amp. The one that's x'd out says fuel pump relay, but it's empty and the fuel pump/ecm relay is actually on the drivers side of the car. Figured out the dinger noise. Was simply a fuse in the glove box panel. DUH!
Monday, January 26th, 2009 AT 6:19 PM
KHLOW2008
I could not see any diagram and have instead posted 1 with the identifications.

Let me know which fuse is blowing and I will try to get the details.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_FuseBox91Lumina01_2.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_FuseBox91Lumina01a_1.jpg

Thursday, January 29th, 2009 AT 5:14 AM
DORATHEEXPLORER
The pic of the component center that you sent is under the passenger side interior. I definately needed that one too, so thank you. Here are pics of the power distribution box located under the hood, passenger side. The fuse that kept blowing is marked distributor & had a 10 amp in it. I put in a 15amp and now it doesn't blow. Also, there are 3 60amp fuses & 3 30amp fuses in the box that aren't labeled. Any ideas? Again, Thanks So Much for all your help.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/16444_fb1_2.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/16444_fb2_2.jpg

Thursday, January 29th, 2009 AT 8:26 AM
KHLOW2008
Hi,

Sorry for the mixup. My data shows only 2 pcs of 30 A maxi-fuse. None of the fuse was marked distrubutor in my database so can you please tell me the fuse # from the diagram, ( is it Fuse # 7, Direct Ignition System )? Btw to be sure I get the correct details, I need the engine variant of your vehicle as different engine variant has different wiring diagrams.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_ElecCenterRH91Lumina_1.jpg

Fuse Identification
1 - 20 Amp Air Pump (3.4L Manual)
2 - 15 Amp Trunk Release, Back-Up Lights
3 - Not Used
4 - Service 3.4L DOHC V6
5 - Service 3.4L DOHC V6
6 - 4 Amp Injectors (4-Cylinder Engine)
7 - 10 Amp Direct Ignition System
8 - 10 Amp Injectors (3.1L V6 Engine)
9 - Not Used
10 - 15 Amp Ignition System
11 - 10 Amp Ignition

Relay Identification
12 - Air Pump Relay (3.4L DOHC V6)
13 - Not Used
14 - Heavy Duty Cooling Fan Relay
15 - Cooling Fan Relay
16 - A/C Compressor Clutch Relay

Maxi-Fuse Identification
17 - 60 Amp Starter Solenoid
18 - 30 Amp Cooling Fan (2.5L & 3.1L); 60 Amp Cooling Fan (3.4L DOHC V6)
19 - 60 Amp High Blower
20 - 60 Amp Cooling Fan
21 - 30 Amp Ignition
Thursday, January 29th, 2009 AT 2:03 PM
DORATHEEXPLORER
It is fuse #7. And I believe it's your standard 6 cyl. The one that's in 90% of these cars is what I was told. But your pic definatley looks like the one I have.
Thursday, January 29th, 2009 AT 4:44 PM
KHLOW2008
Fuse # 7 is the main power supply for the Direct Ignition System and if it keeps blowing, you might have a failing control unit or there are some wires that are exposed.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_DIS91Lumina01_1.jpg

-1
Thursday, January 29th, 2009 AT 5:14 PM