1988 Chevy Lumina Brakelights don't work. Bulbs an fuses go

COWBOY333
  • 1988 CHEVROLET LUMINA
I replaced brakelight switch.(Under brake pedal) I have power @ fuseblock but none@ the actual lights. Is there a fuseable link? If there was a short wouldn't it blow fuses? Taillights, blinkers work no brake. Even if I run a HOT wire to the brakelight wire in the trunk I still have no brake lights.
Monday, October 12th, 2009 AT 6:48 AM

DOUG RODRIGUES
What is the last thing that you performed on the car before you started haveing problems? I'd look there first.

Sorry you had to replace the switch, because I know what a bitch it was to replace. I don't know how you did it, but I cracked one brake bleeder open to be able to push the brake pedal to the floor and jammed a ratchet extension between the brake pedal and the dashboard to have more room to work.

If the switch is out of adjustment the brake lights should be on all the time. If your connectors have that extra little green locking tab to positively hold the wire connector on, did you reinstall that too? Maybe the connector is loose on the switch? It's a longshot, but maybe?
Sunday, October 18th, 2009 AT 10:40 AM