Volkswagen Dealer/Drive Belt

MLBRIDGES2024
  • CHEVROLET IMPALA
Recently I took my 98 volks golf to dealer to have clutch replaced, when I picked up my car less than 1/2 mile away the car starts to stale every few secs while driving. Drove it back to dealership to have them look at problem only for them to tell me that it was my air compressor going bad. Advised them I couldnt afford to fix right now so they switched it off. About a month later I start having problems with my power sterring and veh making a loud humming noise, so took vehicle back to dealer to have them look at it. They said it was the air compressor causing the drive belt to slip so we needed to replace it, advice also we couldnt afford at this time and would have to pick up and do it another time. On the way from the dealership the battery light came on (brand new battery was just installed) thought maybe belt was slipping and would check when got home. But before vehicle could make it home the battery was completely drained and when we lifted the hood the drive belt was missing. My question is would this be something that you would hear pop off driving 45-60 mph down the road? Or did the dealership possibly leave it off the vehicle while they were checking it because we did tell them we needed it replaced? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Saturday, January 7th, 2006 AT 8:39 PM

JACK42
You might hear it.
Friday, February 10th, 2006 AT 4:56 PM
FRIEDEMANN
Hearing that happen, I don't know. But you said you left the dealership and the light came on or was on? If it came on and you were already rolling. Then I would say there was a belt and it fell off(most likely it wasn't tensed up as the altenator slipped back) If the light was on as soon as you started the car, there was no belt.
Wednesday, December 13th, 2006 AT 7:16 PM