OLDSMOBILE 88 ENGINE DIED

• wkiml
  • 1988 Chevrolet Impala

I own a 1996 Olds 88 it has approx 125,000 miles. Yesterday I was out running errands, when I noticed my check engine light starting to flash. I drove about 2/10 ths of a mile before the light stayed on constantly. I immediately pulled into a parking lot, as I did I noticed my engine lost power before kicking back in again.

I parked the car and got out to check under the hood when I noticed a very strong "Sulfur" type smell. I tried to restart the car, it wanted to turn over but didnt when it let lose a huge white cloud of smoke from the exhaust. I noticed this same white smoke coming for the oil dipstick area.

Any idea on what happened to my engine? And why it all happened so quickly?

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2006 AT 9:17 AM

• wkiml

Bump

Thursday, January 5th, 2006 AT 9:03 AM
  • smokinfloyd4.3

With white smoke comming from those areas it sounds like it blew the head gaskets, is there water in oil? Did it try to start at all?

Thursday, January 5th, 2006 AT 12:34 PM
  • wkiml

No water in the oil

It tries to turn over but doesn't catch. It cranks, all the electrical work but just will not run.

Wednesday, January 18th, 2006 AT 8:20 AM