2005 Chevy Impala Key will not turn iginition

KEYLESSINTX
  • 2005 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Hi Guys, we own a Chevy Impala 2005. The key will not turn the ignition. In the past few months when this occurred I would disconnect the battery and then reconnect it and it work. Now that fix doesn't work. My mechanic doesn't have a clue what is wrong and I see so many people on this same issue. Could you please help me? I am out of work and with one income we can't afford to keep replacing everything the dealer says and then still have this problem, it just doesn't seem fair. We are the only owners of this car and we had it for about 4-5 years and only have about 48000 miles on it. Sometimes it locks up after being parked overnight and sometimes after it has been parked for 15 - 20 minutes. There are no lights on the dashboard or anything else to report of. What do you think it is?
Could it possibly be the BTSI (Brake Transmission Shift Interlock)?
Friday, January 9th, 2009 AT 2:22 PM

BRIAN 1
When the ignition is hard to turn, try and push the floor shifter handle forward(or coloumn shift)or move it back/fourth and see if the key turns.I've had a couple of these and had to replace the shifter. Try this and post back with what you find and will advise from there. Plus any other info will help. What parts did the dealer replace?
Friday, January 9th, 2009 AT 5:02 PM
KEYLESSINTX
Thanks for your suggestion, Brian. I will certainly try your suggestion the next time the car fails to start.

So far, the mechanic has not replaced anything except lubricating the ignition switch with graphite. It is now day 3 since we picked up our car and it has not failed thus far. The mechanic did suggest having the ignition replaced for over $400, but we chose not to because they could not guarantee that was the problem and we cannot afford to just throw money at the problem.

The frustrating problem with this is that the mechanic was very adamant about duplicating the problem in order to guarantee a fix. And he was not able to duplicate the problem at all for the 2 days the car was in his garage. He also suggested that our keys are too heavy (they only weigh 5 oz). We find it hard to believe this is the source of the problem we're experiencing. I think next time I will invest in a Fred Flintstone car - he never seemed to have any trouble starting his car! We'll keep you updated if our car should fail again.

Thank-you very much for your help and your prompt response.
Wednesday, January 14th, 2009 AT 11:43 PM