2005 Chevy Impala car begins to over

D73JESTER
  • 2005 CHEVROLET IMPALA
This just happened to me on Jand 12 09, I was driving back from the store turned the heater on and it was blowing cold air. Noticed the engine temp gauge was rising the vents would blow hot air then the engine would cool and this repeated till I got home when the vents no longer blew hot air. The dex cool was low I replaced it to the over flow tank ran car again and the temp continued to climb. I opened the pressure cap and the fluid wasnt over the top of the radiator cooling fins. The fans turned on and off intermintally. No fluid moved from the holding tank none visibly. No apparent leaks that can be seen with the naked eye at night on the street corner with a work light. Never smelt the radiator "smell" from the vents
Monday, January 12th, 2009 AT 6:20 PM

RHALL77
Iwould suggest having the cooling system pressure checked and see where the leak is coming from. Could be a water pump, intake gasket, or a head gasket
Monday, January 12th, 2009 AT 6:32 PM
D73JESTER
After more research I found a few more things I am using a 15 lbs pressure caps, and there was a build up of brown sludge on it. I will be calling a mechanic in the morning lets not hope to expensive.
Monday, January 12th, 2009 AT 7:17 PM
RHALL77
I never seen a pressure cap cause that on this type of vehicle. Usually the brown sludge wont cause it either. Have it pressure tested and let me know what you find
Monday, January 12th, 2009 AT 8:09 PM
D73JESTER
It will hopfully be going into the shop tomorrow. I am hoping it just needs a flush and a new thermostat but since I am the least mechanically inclined I will leave in the hands of the professionals. I will keep you informed.
Monday, January 12th, 2009 AT 8:44 PM
D73JESTER
Well I took it to the shop and the said head gasket and water pump went bad. Gave me an estimate of 1675.00 what would cause these to go bad it has less then 70000 miles on the car.
Wednesday, January 14th, 2009 AT 5:40 PM
RHALL77
I have a hard time believing its both. And intake gasket and a water pump maybe. But you may have this going on. I would suggest having a second opinion done.
Wednesday, January 14th, 2009 AT 5:55 PM
D73JESTER
I am going to go to the shop and have them show me why they suspect the head gasket and not the intake gasket? What should I ask them to get specific answers that can determine the causes of the problem? Again not to mechanically inclined so the more presice the better. I may still have it looked at again by another mechanic.
Wednesday, January 14th, 2009 AT 6:39 PM
RHALL77
With out being able to show you it would be hard here. Have a second opinion done.
Thursday, January 15th, 2009 AT 7:13 AM
D73JESTER
I had it sent to another garage to look at from what I told him over the phone he is suspecting a thermostat and flush but will put a pressure test to it. I told the other garage that I was moving the car and his first words were can they do the job cheaper. Well I said yes and the garage asked how much I picked a random number 1500 and the origanal garage said they could do it between 1300 and 1450. Makes me want to wonder. And he said he could possibly go lower if mech takes more of a cut. So I am waiting for the 2nd garage to call me with his opinion. Will keep you all informed
Thursday, January 15th, 2009 AT 12:42 PM