2004 Chevy Impala Heater blowing cold air

BJ.GREENE
  • 2004 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Heater problem
2004 Chevy Impala 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

My heater has developed a mind of its' own. It would comes on, heat up, and randomly turns off for a random period of time then comes back on. Now there is no heat. Thermostat has been replaced, system flushed twice, heater core flushed twice and bled for air lock. In addition temperature gauge acts erattically going up to almost 125(in the red) and then going back to approx 80. My mechanic wants to replace heater core at ~$500 cost. Any suggestions
Saturday, March 20th, 2010 AT 12:44 PM

BASSTECH
It sound like you may have a bad head gasket. I know that you mentioned that the system was air bled, but if the head gasket is bad it will contineiuosly add air to the system.

Have him check for a bad head gasket, see if the coolant overflow bottle shows any bubbles while the car is running. Or do a pressure test on the system and see if the pressue increases quickly when the engine is started.
Saturday, March 20th, 2010 AT 9:31 PM