2002 Chevy Impala Interior lamps

FAST150
  • 2002 CHEVROLET IMPALA
I have a 2002 Impala LS. Just purchased it recently, and the interior/courtesy lamps in the rear seat do not work, along with the cigarette lighter in the front, I have checked the fuses and they appear to be ok. Just wondering what my next step should be as far as diagnosing this. I absolutely love the car and these are minor issues, just a hassle as we have a 3 year old and it makes it a little tougher to get him strapped into the car at night.
Friday, January 1st, 2010 AT 4:29 PM

ERNEST CLARK
First you'll have to find out if the cigarette lighter and rear lamps are on the same circuit.

The rear lights are usually on the circuit with the dome light and door lights. The cigarette lighter is usually on its own circuit because people frequently use them to power different devices.

With the cigarette lighter, have you tried plugging other devices into the socket other than a lighter? Because sometimes the lighter itself will go bad, and not the plug.

If nothing works, then you'll have to check the back of the plug to see if the connector/wiring is good. If it is, then you'll have to probe the circuit with a test light backwards towards the fuse box until you find the break.

For your rear lights, does the dome light work? If so, then it's in the wiring just for the rear lights and you'll have to trace the circuit to the fuse box. If the dome light does not work, then you'll have to trace the circuit from the lights to the switch, then from the switch to the fuse box.
-2
Friday, January 15th, 2010 AT 10:39 PM
FAST150
I managed to check the fuse for the cig. Lighter, it was blown, replaced it and now that works fine, needs a new element but dont normally use it for that so no big deal. Can't seem to find a fuse for the rear lamps, have a service manual and it has a diagram in it, but as cold as it has been I don't want to tear the interior apart for fear of breaking everything. It's one of those things that may have to wait for spring, or untill I can get it in somewhere warm overnight and work on it the next day. In the meantime im going to try and sort the diagrams out so that I have an idea of what i'm looking for. Looking at it the colors appear to be dark blue/ white stripe, gray and black? And would imagine that they are located in the headliner or b- pillar? I have dvom, short-finder, test light, pretty much all the equipment needed, just needed a little bit of direction on where to start. Thanks a bunch, hopefully we can figure it out once we get some weather!
Sunday, January 17th, 2010 AT 10:59 PM
ERNEST CLARK
No problem.

And the diagram should have a "Key" that explains the color coding of the wires.

The easiest way to read a diagram is to trace out the specific circuit with a pen. It'll isolate it from the meaningless stuff and allow you to understand it better.

And the wires will usually run up an A pillar or C pillar. I haven't ran into any cars where the wires were ran through a B pillar. Though I'm sure they exist.

Finally, on-line subscriptions to alldata or mitchells are much better for a D.I.Y. Er. They give you access to 1000x more information than a paper manual, and cost about the same price. And they have diagnostic procedures as well.

Good luck.
-1
Sunday, January 17th, 2010 AT 11:08 PM
FAST150
Oh wow I didn't even know you could do that with alldata or mitchell. I've used them before and would agree that the infomation is 100 times better lol. Just thought it would be too expensive for no more than I would use it. Learn somethin new every day! Thanks again!
-1
Sunday, January 17th, 2010 AT 11:15 PM
ERNEST CLARK
At AutoZone you can purchase a "Single vehicle" subscription for 25-30 dollars, depending on the vehicle.
Sunday, January 17th, 2010 AT 11:23 PM