Remove and replace ignition switch?

X1X GOSER X1X
  • 2001 CHEVROLET IMPALA
I have to replace the ignition switch in my 2001 Chevy Impala and I was hoping that you could give me some advice or the steps to the process in doing so.
Tuesday, August 19th, 2008 AT 8:11 AM

JOETECHPRO
Hey X1X GOSER X1X,

I have attached below the instructions to replace the ignition switch on your vehicle.

Are you replacing the switch itself or the lock barrel?

Hope that is the information you needed.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Regards, Joe
Sunday, March 31st, 2019 AT 2:58 PM
JOETECHPRO
Hey X1X GOSER X1X,

Below should be the removal instructions for all the trims you need to remove to get to the switch.

Hopefully that should give you all you need to tackle the job.

Regards, Joe
Sunday, March 31st, 2019 AT 3:09 PM
JOETECHPRO
Hey PHILLIP505,

If you would like some help with your vehicle can you please start a new question?

It makes the site work more effectively if each persons question is separate, we should be able to give you the information you need.

Regards, Joe
Sunday, March 31st, 2019 AT 3:11 PM
JOETECHPRO
Hey X1X GOSER X1X,

If you are replacing the electrical part of the ignition switch you may have to relearn the PASSLOCK system.

You may need to attach a battery charger as you will have the ignition on for a while without the engine running whilst doing the relearn.

Please see the information below on how to do that.

Regards, Joe
+1
Sunday, March 31st, 2019 AT 4:38 PM
HAWGBOI
  • 2001 CHEVROLET IMPALA
I've recently lost the keys to my car and was wondering how I would replace the lock cylinder without having to drill it out?
Monday, August 24th, 2020 AT 2:00 PM (Merged)
KEN
There is no way except to drill it out. Here are guides to help you replace the ignition lock tumbler. Can you please shoot a quick video with your phone so we can see what's going on? That would be great. You can upload it here with your response. I would get the new ignition switch from the dealer so they can code it for you please bring our VIN number. Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know what happens.
JEFFD39
  • 2001 CHEVROLET IMPALA
I have a 2001 cheverolet impala ls replaced ignition switch will not start with key jump out selonoid it cranks it runs 4seconds n shuts off if it is the security how do I fix it
PROTECH1980
1. Perform a security system relearn. 2. Let the vehicle sit for more than 10 minutes with the key off. 3. Attempt to start the engine, leave the key in the run position, monitoring the security system indicator. 4. After 10 minutes, the security indicator will change state. 5. Turn the key off and wait 10 seconds. 6. Attempt to start the engine. If the engine stalls, wait another 10 minutes with the key on. 7. After the second 10 minute timer has expired, turn the key off for 10 seconds. 8. Attempt to start the engine. If the engine stalls, wait another 10 minutes with the key on. 9. After the 3rd 10-minute timer has expired, shut the key off for 10 seconds. 10. The security system will relearn on the 4th starting attempt, and the engine should start and run.
+1
ROBERTRJAMESJR
  • 2000 CHEVROLET IMPALA
How do I replace the ignition switch? How do I get at it and how does the dash come off?
DENNYP
Ignition and start switch replacement.
Removal Procedure:

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/102900_1_1.jpg

Disconnect the battery ground cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnect and Connect Procedure in Engine Electrical.
Remove the steering column filler panel. Refer to Steering Column Filler Replacement .
Remove the knee bolster bracket. Refer to Bracket Replacement - Knee Bolster .
Remove the instrument panel (I/P) cluster trim panel. Refer to Trim Plate Bezel Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) Cluster .
Remove the ignition switch bolts.
Lower the ignition switch away from the instrument carrier.
Insert the key into the ignition lock cylinder. Turn the key to the ON/RUN position.
Depress the transaxle park/lock cable retainer to release. Pull to remove the park/lock cable from the ignition switch.
Important: The Passlock electrical connector cannot be removed until the lock cylinder is removed.

Depress and hold the detent on the bottom of the ignition switch in order to release the ignition lock cylinder. Remove the ignition lock cylinder with the key.

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/102900_2_1.jpg

Disconnect the Passlock electrical connector.
Disconnect the electrical connectors.

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/102900_3_1.jpg

Important: Ignition switch lock cylinder that won't rotate or is seized.

Perform the following procedure if the ignition switch lock cylinder is seized or won't rotate.
12.1. Protect the immediate work area with suitable material such as clean shop towels or a clean fender cover.

12.2. Locate the surface for the ignition switch lock cylinder release button (2) on the plastic ignition switch housing and center punch a location (1) on the "rib" approximately 3/8 inch reward (toward the key entry end) from the cylinder release button.

12.3. Carefully drill a pilot hole through the plastic housing with a 1/8 inch drill bit.

12.4. Carefully drill a larger hole at the pilot location, and slightly into the ignition switch lock cylinder surface to break the release button retaining spring using a 9/32 inch drill bit.

12.5. Remove portions of the broken spring from the hole using a small suitable tool.

12.6. Grasp the ignition switch lock cylinder and remove it from the switch housing.

12.7. Remove any plastic "flash" from the drilling operation, and using compressed air blow out the ignition switch assembly.

12.8. Follow service manual procedures when cylinder cording is required. Refer to Key and Lock Cylinder Coding in General Information.

Installation Procedure
If the lock cylinder would not rotate or was seized, perform the following procedure:
1.1. Install the new ignition switch lock cylinder as required by rotating both the cylinder and the ignition switch to the ON position.

1.2. Push the ignition switch lock cylinder into the ignition switch housing until fully seated.

1.3. You may have to slightly depress the release button as the button passes by the 9/32-in hole previously drilled in the ignition switch housing.

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/102900_4_1.jpg

Connect the electrical connectors.
Connect the Passlock electrical connector.
Connect the park/lock cable to the ignition switch.

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/102900_5_1.jpg

Turn the key to the ON/RUN position. Install the ignition lock cylinder into the ignition switch. If you turned the key slightly while removing the lock cylinder, you may have to align the white colored ignition switch rotor (1) with the lock cylinder (2). You can rotate the ignition switch rotor (1) with your finger.
Remove the key.

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/102900_6_1.jpg

Position the ignition switch to the instrument carrier.
Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Install the ignition switch bolts.
Tighten

Tighten the bolts to 10 N m (89 lb in).

Install the trim plate bezel to the I/P cluster. Refer to Trim Plate Bezel Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) Cluster .
Install the knee bolster bracket. Refer to Bracket Replacement - Knee Bolster .
Install the steering column filler panel. Refer to Steering Column Filler Replacement .
Connect the battery ground cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnect and Connect Procedure in Engine Electrical.

+5
GRPERKO

I have a question regarding this install. I just replaced my ignition switch on my fathers 2005 Impala due to the popular pass-lock issue and the vehicle not starting.

I purchased the ignition kit from GM, where a service tech told me I do not need to have the car re-keyed or programmed if I keep the stock tumbler and install it in the non-defective pass-lock. I have installed the ignition, everything is hooked up, and everything in the car works, but it wont start. I am wondering if this is due to the new pass-lock? I am not sure how it works with different keys and so-forth. I was also told it could also be the BCM but to try this first. So my question is, could the car not be starting due to the new pass-lock not recognizing the car, and being a programming issue, or has the problem spread to the BCM and I need to replace that too?

Thank you
+7
KEN
I think the tech was not complete even if you keep the tumbler the key is what needs programming which the dealer will do when you buy the lock and key if you bring your VIN number and proof of ownership.
DREMESEEKER
  • 2000 CHEVROLET IMPALA
What is the procedure to remove and replace the ignition switch?
Monday, August 24th, 2020 AT 2:01 PM (Merged)
BRIAN 1
Disconnect the battery ground cable.
Remove the steering column filler panel. See: Steering and Suspension Steering Steering Column Service and Repair Steering Column Filler
Remove the knee bolster bracket. See: Restraint Systems Knee Diverter Service and Repair
Remove the instrument panel (I/P) cluster trim plate. See: Instrument Panel, Gauges and Warning Indicators Instrument Cluster / Carrier Service and Repair Procedures Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) - Trim Plate Bezel Replacement
Remove the ignition switch bolts.
Insert the key into the ignition lock cylinder. Turn the key to the "ON/RUN" position.
Depress the transaxle park/lock cable retainer to release. Pull to remove the park/lock cable from the ignition switch. IMPORTANT: The Passlock electrical connector cannot be removed until the lock cylinder is removed.

Disconnect the electrical connectors.

IMPORTANT: Ignition switch lock cylinder that won't rotate or is seized.

Follow the procedure below if the ignition switch lock cylinder is seized or won't rotate.
12.2. Locate the surface for the ignition switch lock cylinder release button (2) on the plastic ignition switch housing and center punch a location (1) on the "rib" approximately 3/8 inch reward, toward the key entry end, from the cylinder release button.
12.8. Follow service manual procedures when cylinder coding is required.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1.1. Install the new ignition switch lock cylinder as required by rotating both the cylinder and the ignition switch to the "ON" position.
1.3. It may be necessary to slightly depress the release button as it passes by the 9/32 inch hole previously drilled in the ignition switch housing.

Connect the electrical connectors.

Turn the key to the "ON/RUN" position. Install the ignition lock cylinder into the ignition switch. If you turned the key slightly while removing the lock cylinder, you may have to align the white colored ignition switch rotor (1) with the lock cylinder (2). You can rotate the ignition switch rotor (1) with your finger.
Remove the key.

Position the ignition switch to the instrument carrier. NOTICE: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
Install the ignition switch bolts. TIGHTEN Bolts to 10 Nm (89 lb in).
Install the trim plate bezel to the I/P cluster.
Install the knee bolster bracket.
Install the steering column filler panel.
Connect the battery ground cable.
-1
KAMBROZ
  • 2000 CHEVROLET IMPALA
After reading numerous forums on my 2000 Impala, I am convinced I need to replace my ignition switch. Is it difficult and how can I do it?
BLUELIGHTNIN6

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname_284.jpg

Thanks for using 2CarPros.com!
-1
JAY2000
  • 2000 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Car began to crank sometimes then sometimes it wouldn't, so I replaced the ignition switch. Now, it will start, then shutdown. Also replaced the battery
If the engine is shutting as soon as you let the key go to the run position, you need to recheck the wiring at the switch. There is a power supply to the ignition in the start position (more voltage to the ignition for cold starts) then when it goes to the run position, voltage is lowered.
-2
MPERO
  • 1996 CHEVROLET IMPALA
I have a 96 impala I replaced the ignition switch with a factory bought cylinder and key they were coded to my computer settings already after installation of the new cylinder the car with crank and run/drive for 3 to 5 minutes perfectly, sounds good everything but it would just cutoff. Before we install the new cylinder the car ran perfect can anyone help me on what this problem could be
BMRFIXIT
Check if security light on and or blinking
do a code check
check fuel pressure

Sponsored links